Manage episode 290355929 series 2792665
On top of being a BCEN Distinguished Award winning pediatric emergency nurse, our guest today has made it her mission to educate and empower other nurses to reach their full potential as well. Lisa Chambers is a clinical educator and registered nurse at what was the fourth busiest children’s hospital in the United States, pre-COVID. Lisa finds joy in even the most challenging parts of her job and her passion to help others is unwavering. In today’s episode we discuss the ways in which Lisa breaks down barriers in education and how she helps other nurses to find their purpose and the motivation they need to excel. Lisa shares the eye-opening experience she had working in Dhaka during the SARS epidemic, within a health system that starkly contrasts the one she is now an integral part of. The current pandemic has also highlighted the major differences between the working conditions of healthcare professionals and Lisa stresses the need for more support and resources for the CareHeroes who need it. We also dive into some tips for effective communication, the importance of keeping your education up to date no matter what point you are at in your career, and ideas about what the future of nursing might look like. A final reminder from Lisa: Be kind to yourself!
Key Points From This Episode:
- Why Lisa wants to be like Mary Poppins.
- The combination of factors that led Lisa into the nursing profession.
- Some interesting information about CHOC and what Lisa’s role is at the hospital.
- Lisa’s experience as an educational consultant at the icddr,b in Dhaka (including the most inspirational moment of her career).
- A day in Lisa’s life and how there’s always a different adventure.
- How Lisa assists nurses in acquiring their certifications, and enhancing their skillsets.
- The challenges that exist alongside the joys in Lisa’s job.
- “Lisa’s Learning Cart” and the other ways Lisa breaks down barriers in education.
- The mentorship program that Lisa is currently working on.
- Why Lisa decided to pursue her Doctorate of Nursing Practice.
- Lisa shares who and what she is grateful for, and the meaning that she finds through her work.
- The dire need to provide support and resources to CareHeroes across the country, especially during this pandemic.
- Some top tips for effective communication and why it is so important.
- If you want to implement changes, they should always be for the benefit of the patients.
- The Distinguished Award that Lisa received in 2020.
- Keep moving forward; when doors open for you, go through them.
- Be kind to yourself!