Manage episode 268843891 series 1272423
In this episode, Mike and Amanda Goetz have a great conversation about intention, focus, lessons learned in building a business, joining a business and starting over. Amanda is the VP of Marketing at The Knot and Founder of a new side gig.
- What drove you to start building out a side business?
- How do you keep things straight?
- How did you start to get comfortable with saying no to things?
- What compelled you to go out and raise money this time?
- How do you say no to people?
- How do you deal with the pain, conflict and challenges?
- Why do we struggle with transparency?
- What does community mean to you?
- How do we overcome not wanting to be self-promotional?
- Ask everyday, how am I going to approach this day and what does success look like
- Don’t believe in “mommy guilt”
- Whatever I am doing in this moment gets my full attention.
- Focus and Finish
- Your defense is your email. Not every email needs an immediate response.
- Your offense is when you are in control of what you are doing.
- In the absence of information, people spin and they ask a lot of questions. I believe in pro-active communication.
- When people don’t have a true North Star, that’s when you get unnecessary emails.
- Experience is the best teacher.
- You have to do applications of these things.
- When it comes to saying no to business relationships, I think a lot about where it needs to start and it needs to start with knowing yourself.
- It’s ok to acknowledge highs and lows and talk about those openly.
- Someone has to be brave enough to go first. This creates a foundation of trust and further vulnerability.
- Community means to me people who found connection through usually highs or lows.
- Brands that try to be everything to everyone end up being nothing to anyone.
- Self-promotion is very different than stating your thoughts.
- Put your thoughts into the world.
- You have to bet on yourself before other people will.
Amanda on Twitter
Work With Catalyst Sale:
- Listen to our free resource (this podcast) and then put the action items into practice. Share your work with us via Twitter or email@example.com
- Invest in a Catalyst Sale course - self directed. Find our courses here
- Hire us as a consultant/advisor within your team or organization
This podcast is brought to you by Catalyst Sale - you can learn more about Catalyst Sale, and the products and services we provide via the following links.