Manage episode 237743959 series 1529001
A real public health problem has snuck up on us as pediatricians - vaping and e-cigarettes use. On today’s episode, we will unpack the facts about e-cigarettes and vaping, provide you with practical tools to counsel your patients and families and talk about upcoming advocacy and policy work pertaining to e-cigarettes. Our guests today are Jennifer Woods, MD, Medical Director of the Adolescent Medicine Clinic at Children’s Hospital Colorado and associate professor of pediatrics at the University of Colorado School of Medicine; and Heather Hoch, MD pediatric pulmonologist at Children’s Hospital Colorado and assistant professor the CU School of Medicine.
From today's episode:
- The 2018 NIH Monitoring the Future Survey Results were released last month. The survey found that 37% of 12th graders and 18% of 8th graders have vaped in the last year and the number of kids who used vaping products in the last month jumped from 11 to 21% in 12th graders and from 9 to 16% in 10th graders — those changes are the biggest jumps in adolescent substance use that has been seen in the 4 decades of conducting the Monitoring the Future Survey.
- From the AAP: 5 Facts to talk to Teens about Vaping
- The FDA held a public hearing on January 18, 2019 to discuss efforts to eliminate youth e-cigarette use, with a focus on the potential role of drug therapies to support cessation and the issues impacting the development of such therapies. If this is a topic you are passionate about, we encourage our listeners to visit the FDA website to submit a public comment, those public comment submissions will be available through February 1, 2019 https://www.fda.gov/TobaccoProducts/Labeling/ProductsIngredientsComponents/ucm456610.htm)
- Pediatricians Push for Laws to Prevent Teen Vaping
- Colorado Bill Introduced to Combat Skyrocketing Youth E-Cigarette Use, Clean Indoor Air Act, House Bill 19-1076
Feedback on this episode or suggestions for a future topic? Write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org - we love hearing from our listeners!