Manage episode 258933797 series 2653665
Episode 03 | Misinformation & Pattern Recognition - Because Reasons 1
Host: Derek DeWitt
Why are conspiracy theories so popular with so many? This series of shorter episodes will look at different factors that may be responsible for conspiracy theories taking root in the public consciousness and how they spread with modern communications tools. Along the way, we'll look at motivations, science, psychology and more.
These episodes will always be shorter than the regular ones, and will always be released along with another episode that looks at a specific conspiracy, mystery or hoax. Consider the Because Reasons series to be bonus content, if you like.
- 01:26 - Some Stats on Conspiracy Beliefs in the US (2019)
- 03:14 - JFK - The Gateway Drug of Conspiracies
- 05:20 - LBJ & HST
- 07:42 - Communications Technologies
- 09:50 - Theories and Mis- & Disinformation
- 11:34 - How Misinformation Spreads
- 12:20 - Two Stories from Genesis
- 18:16 - Humans Are Pattern-Seeking
- 19:10 - The Law of Fives, the 23 Enigma and Apophenia
- 21:32 - Pattern-Seeking + Big Brains + Internet = Conspiracies
- Music by Fanette Ronjat
NEXT BECAUSE REASONS: True Fictions
Follow us on social for extra goodies:
Other Podcasts by Derek DeWitt
- DIGITAL SIGNAGE DONE RIGHT - Winner of 2020 Communicator Award of Excellence for Podcasts Series-Corporate Communications and on numerous top 10 podcast lists.
- PRAGUE TIMES - A city is more than just a location - it’s a kaleidoscope of history, places, people and trends. This podcast looks at Prague, in the center of Europe, from a number of perspectives, including what it is now, what is has been and where it’s going. It’s Prague THEN, Prague NOW, Prague LATER.