Create New Futures | How Leaders Produce Breakthroughs and Transform the World through Conversation
085 Terrence McNally - A World That Just Might Work
Manage episode 258683300 series 1390302
After twenty years as an actor, director, screenwriter, songwriter and record producer, Terrence McNally has refocused his work on his vision of working on creating a world that just might work. His experience and aspiration converged in his consulting and media work, as well as his role as a co-founder of a startup which offers more people more ways to contribute to achieving the UN’s sustainability development goals.
As a speaker, writer, consultant, and coach he helps foundations, public agencies and progressive businesses communicate. His work enables individuals and organizations to tell better stories and develop more compelling narratives.
In this episode, Terrence shares the passion that drives his work, what led him to these opportunities and the insights he developed by hosting his own podcast. Aviv and Terrence expound on the importance of big picture thinking, taking a long-term view of societal issues, and how each of us as individuals can play a larger role in changing the world.
- 02:35 – Terrence’s fierce passion for the work he does and his philosophy of learning by teaching
- 10:11 – How Terrence discovered his calling and vision
- 17:16 – The genesis behind Terrence’s phrase, ‘A world that just might work’
- 20:17 – Climate change and the ongoing global coronavirus pandemic
- 29:09 – The nature of Terrence’s collaboration with the United Nations
- 32:22 – The importance of storytelling and creating a compelling narrative
- 39:57 – How Terrence measures the success of his Free Forum podcast and recalls some of his most memorable interviews
- 42:41 – Three people, dead or alive, that Terrence would love to interview and what he would ask them
- 48:41 – Advice Terrence would give to those seeking a career in entertainment
- 52:44 – Two learning Terrence values above all others and parting words of wisdom
FULL SHOW NOTES: https://www.avivconsulting.com/cnf85