Manage episode 220073072 series 164106
I’m as guilty as anyone for saying “good isn’t good enough.” Our society encourages people to be the best they can be; even capitalism is based on the idea that everything has to be exceptional. But perfectionism can stop us from even beginning. The acceptance that we are good enough now is critical to success in our work.
We’re all made up of incongruences, but that doesn’t mean that we’re not good enough or worthy enough to begin. Those of us from diverse backgrounds are especially susceptible to feelings of inadequacy. We have no idea what amazing idea is about to come. To be open to creativity, we have to release the need to know how something will end. The important part is starting. You have to realize that failure is part of the process- it leads to relationships, ideas, and loyalty. If you can’t try, then you at least need to “try to try.”
To understand this concept more clearly, I had a conversation with an expert on diversity and self-acceptance: Jessica Pettitt. Jessica, M.Ed., CSP, pulls together her stand up comedy years with 15+ years of diversity trainings in a wide range of organizations to serve groups to move from abstract fears to actionable habits that lead to teams that want to work together.? She’s the author of several books including Good Enough Now.
Download this episode today to learn how creatives must accept themselves in order to unleash their possibilities.
WARRIOR OF CONTENTMENT
“If we are the best tool we currently have, then we must be good enough to try.” -Jessica PettittHighlights -
- The biggest excuse we use to not engage is that we don’t feel good enough.
- You can be inspired by your own ideas, and that re-invites you to engage.
- Don’t be the fly that can’t get out of the open window.
- Tackle the incongruences in your life.
- Clarity is the fearless union of conflicting ideas.
- Supervisors should figure out a way to reward failure.
- The Platinum Rule: find out how others want to be treated, and treat them that way.
- You have to trust in something.
- Trying is a big risk. At least try to try.
Guest Contact -
- Jessica’s Website
- Jessica's Twitter
- Jessica’s Book: Good Enough Now: How Doing the Best We Can With What We Have is Better Than Nothing
- Coaching support
- My book, LINGO: Discover Your Ideal Customer's Secret Language and Make Your Business Irresistible is now available!
- Watch my TEDX LincolnSquare video and please share!
- Have Your Website Brand Message Reviewed! Is your website and are all your marketing materials speaking the right LINGO of your ideal customers? Often it's not which is why you're not converting traffic and leads to clients and attracting your most profitable customers. Fill out the simple LINGO Review application and I'll take a look at your website. If I have suggestions for you to improve your brand message (I almost always do), we'll set up a complimentary 30-minute call to discuss. A select number of websites are also chosen for my LINGO Review Video Series. Fill out the application today and let's get your business speaking the right LINGO!
- Music by Jawn
497 episodes available. A new episode about every 3 days averaging 31 mins duration .