Manage episode 220641639 series 164106
So often, we rush into giving advice to others. We don’t see the people around us as creative and whole so we don’t believe they have the tools or knowledge to achieve their goals. In an effort to help, we can actually stunt others’ growth.
However, if we stay curious and ask the right questions, we can help the people around us realize they already have all the answers. We can learn how to bring out the best in others. This will only help us as we build our teams and strategize towards our own goals. Coaching isn’t just being hired as a coach. It’s a way of being with each other. It’s how we can achieve higher-level conversations with our co-workers, clients, and family. We have to lead with curiosity rather than advice and solutions in order to give space for things to bloom.
To understand this concept further, I’ve brought in the writer of The Coaching Habit, Michael Bungay Stanier. Michael is the founder of Box of Crayons, a company that champions coaching as a force for leadership development and culture change. They teach managers leaders practical tools so they can coach in 10 minutes or less. He was the first Canadian Coach of the Year, is a Rhodes Scholar, and has been recognized as one of the Global Gurus in coaching.
Download this episode now to learn how to be more coach-like in your life and become a better leader.
“Tame the advice monster.” -Michael Bungay StanierHighlights -
- Pick something and really focus on it.
- Focus less about becoming a coach and more on becoming coach-like.
- Encourage higher-level thinking.
- The “AWE” question is the most important when coaching. It stands for “And what else.”
- When you’re writing, whatever your first chapter is, just drop it.
- Understanding what you want becomes the foundation for action.
- The first challenge is rarely the real challenge.
- Advice-giving is pointing in the right direction.
- Being strategic is a courageous choice.
- Everything you say ‘no’ to, you can say ‘yes’ to something else.
Guest Contact -
- Michael’s Website
- Michael's Twitter
- Michael’s Book: The Coaching Habit: Say Less, Ask More & Change the Way You Lead Forever
- Coaching support
- My book, LINGO: Discover Your Ideal Customer's Secret Language and Make Your Business Irresistible is now available!
- Watch my TEDX LincolnSquare video and please share!
- Have Your Website Brand Message Reviewed! Is your website and are all your marketing materials speaking the right LINGO of your ideal customers? Often it's not which is why you're not converting traffic and leads to clients and attracting your most profitable customers. Fill out the simple LINGO Review application and I'll take a look at your website. If I have suggestions for you to improve your brand message (I almost always do), we'll set up a complimentary 30-minute call to discuss. A select number of websites are also chosen for my LINGO Review Video Series. Fill out the application today and let's get your business speaking the right LINGO!
- Music by Jawn
497 episodes available. A new episode about every 3 days averaging 31 mins duration .