Manage episode 231023797 series 164106
When I had back surgery, my doctor told me everything that would happen except for one thing: there would be machines on my legs pumping my blood. I woke up and immediately thought I was paralyzed. If my doctor had told me this was going to happen, it would have saved me that moment of fear. It’s true in business, too.
Expectations have to be clear on both sides. What is common knowledge to you, is often a foreign idea to others. If you start with clear communication, it’s less likely that you will end up in an adversarial position with your customer.
To dive deeper into the idea of better communication, I’ve brought on international keynote speaker, author, trial attorney, and podcast host Heather Hansen. Heather is an esteemed voice in her field, she has appeared on CNN, CBS, MSNBC, and Fox News, and contributed to Global Grind, Thrive Global, and KevinMD. Heather has done pro bono work with the Support Center for Child Advocates. In her forthcoming book, The Elegant Warrior: How to Win Life’s Trials Without Losing Yourself, Heather gathers lessons from the courtroom and shows readers how they can use their complaints, discoveries, questions, and objections to find their own voices and win arguments, without losing themselves in the process.
Armed with the tools and techniques she’s honed in the courtroom, Hansen makes the case that anyone can become an Elegant Warrior: someone who fights adversity with grace and compassion, and battles without losing respect for themselves and their adversaries.
Download this episode now to learn how to advocate for yourself.
THE WARRIOR OF PERSUASION
“I learned to use the tools I used to advocate for others to advocate for myself outside of the courtroom.” - Heather HansenHighlights -
- If you’re having a really bad day, imagine your life is a comedy instead of a tragedy.
- It starts with credibility and builds to trust.
- How do you maintain your elegance when the stakes are high?
- The curse of knowledge: when you know more than the person with whom you’re communicating. The words that come naturally to you might not come naturally to the other person.
- What we do in personal relationships will work in professional relationships.
- You have to communicate seven times in seven ways for a jury to understand.
- Decide whether to get dirty. You can fight fire with fire, but be aware that that’s what you’re doing.
Guest Contact -
- Coaching support
- My book, LINGO: Discover Your Ideal Customer's Secret Language and Make Your Business Irresistible is now available!
- Watch my TEDX LincolnSquare video and please share!
- Have Your Website Brand Message Reviewed! Is your website and are all your marketing materials speaking the right LINGO of your ideal customers? Often it's not which is why you're not converting traffic and leads to clients and attracting your most profitable customers. Fill out the simple LINGO Review application and I'll take a look at your website. If I have suggestions for you to improve your brand message (I almost always do), we'll set up a complimentary 30-minute call to discuss. A select number of websites are also chosen for my LINGO Review Video Series. Fill out the application today and let's get your business speaking the right LINGO!
- Music by Jawn
506 episodes available. A new episode about every 3 days averaging 32 mins duration .