Archive this series
In this episode, I answer a common listener question: How do I get my patterns published in a magazine? Even if you aren't a designer, you may want to listen as the same process is used for submitting tutorial or article ideas.
But first, I shared why I was on a 6 week (!) podcast hiatus and my new philosophy about show notes. (Spoiler alert: They will be shorter.)
So, how do you submit your crochet or knitting design proposals?
- First, if you haven't already, listen to Episode 1: Identify the Right Magazines to Target for Your Article, Tutorial, and Design Submissions for more information about choosing magazines that are a better match with your goals and design aesthetic. There's also a document with links to many magazines' submission information.
- Look for design submission guidelines, mood board, or other documents on the publisher website, and/or scan the Ravelry Designers group for current Calls for Submission.
- If you have guidelines from the publisher, follow them closely.
- If you don't have guidelines from the publisher, email to ask for an editorial calendar or to be added to their designer email list.
- In the absence of guidelines, share a sketch, swatch, romance text/description of your proposed pattern, along with a short bio and links to your Ravelry design page (or project page, if you've never published a pattern before). Fit this onto one page if possible.
You can listen to the episode for more details about preparing your sketch, swatch, and romance text.
Do you have other suggestions for (or questions about) submitting pattern proposals to magazines?
Share your comments in the show notes for this episode at http://creativeyarnentrepreneur.com/magazine, in the Creative Yarn Entrepreneurs Facebook group,Tweet me at @cyeshow, add me to your G+ circle and send me a note, or leave a message at 646-713-8973.
You can subscribe to the Creative Yarn Entrepreneur Show on on iTunes or Stitcher. Please leave an honest review on iTunes or Stitcher and join the mailing list. I’ll let people on the list know in advance about special guests and topics so you can share your questions.
77 episodes available. A new episode about every 12 days averaging 42 mins duration .