Archive this series
In this episode, I answer a listener question from Caroline Ruzicka from Cherie in Wonderland about using LinkedIn for a yarn-related business.
What about LinkedIn? I didn’t see anything on your podcast about it, so I believe you didn’t cover it yet. I use LinkedIn a lot in my main job environment (which is not related to yarn) but honestly I’m not sure this is really working in the yarn industry or for networking in this creative environment yet. I had a quick look today and it seems to me that most of the groups are closed and rather small.
I actually do use LinkedIn for my yarn-related business, and unless there's a compelling reason not to use it (e.g., you work in another industry full time, and adding it to your profile may harm you professionally in that industry), you may want to use it, too.
A few things to keep in mind about LinkedIn:
- It's a professional networking site, so language tends to be more formal.
- You will probably find it more useful as a site for professional networking, professional development, or finding business-to-business prospects, and less useful as a way to connect with consumers.
- It's alright to talk about yourself in third person or in first preson in your profile.
- Most yarn-related business owners won't need to share update on LinkedIn as frequently as on other social networks.
Some of the ways yarn-related business owners might want to use LinkedIn are by:
- Joining groups on writing, self-publishing, social media, marketing, or other topics that may support the development of their businesses.
- Writing long-form posts that may help to build a portfolio for freelance writing or coaching. (You can find instructions for share these posts on LinkedIn here.)
- Searching for contacts at specific companies.
- Building a professional network.
You can listen to the episode for more tips for using LinkedIn for your yarn-related business.
How are you using LinkedIn for your yarn-related business?
Share your comments in the show notes for this episode at http://creativeyarnentrepreneur.com/LinkedIn, in the Creative Yarn Entrepreneurs Facebook group, Tweet me at @cyeshow, add me to your G+ circle and send me a note, or leave a message at 646-713-8973. I'm also on LinkedIn as Marie Segares.
You can subscribe to the Creative Yarn Entrepreneur Show on on iTunes or Stitcher. Please leave an honest review on iTunes or Stitcher and join the mailing list. I’ll let people on the list know in advance about special guests and topics so you can share your questions.
77 episodes available. A new episode about every 12 days averaging 42 mins duration .