Episode 66: Showcasing Your Creative Business and Pitching to Brands and Clients with Leslie Albertson from Mixbook
Archive this series
Leslie Albertson is the director of marketing at Mixbook. I had the chance to get to know Mixbook in person at the 2016 Snap! conference and was later introduced to Leslie. We scheduled a Skype interview to talk about the best ways to present your creative business to potential sponsors and collaborators, following up after networking events, and more.About Leslie Albertson and Mixbook
Mixbook's mission is to help you share and relive life's most important memories through its custom photo products. As director of marketing, Leslie brings her passion as a storyteller to Mixbook's content, community, and customer retention programs across it's portfolio of brands- Mixbook.com, Montage, and Mosaic Photo Books. Her past roles have included driving strategic partnerships with brands including Samsung, Verizon Wireless, and the NFL.
Mixbook was founded by Inc 30 Under 30 entrepreneurs from UC Berkeley, and has been featured on the Today Show, Good Morning America, TechCrunch, The Verge, Washington Post, New York Times and many other global media outlets.About the interview
In this episode, I talk to Leslie about Mixbook's products and brands, networking at in-person events, follow up, and branding your creative business.
Some of the topics we discussed included:
- Tips for approaching brands or potential collaborators at networking events,
- Identifying which brands would be the best fit for partnership with your business,
- How to stand out (in a good way) at your next networking event,
- Leslie's "rule of 3" for follow up after an event,
- Becoming comfortable with sharing and pitching ideas, and
- Ways to use Mixbook products as a portfolio, for packaging, and to brand your business in general.
Listen to the podcast for more from Leslie about branding your business and working with brands. I also share my experience using Montage for a portfolio.Some announcements
- The Creative Yarn Entrepreneur is now on Facebook. Please stop by and like the page here. In addition to podcast episodes, I share links with information that is helpful for small business owners.
- I'll be speaking at BlogHer'16 (August 4-6, 2016 in Los Angeles, CA). If you're in the area, I'd love to meet up! You can register for BlogHer'16 with a 30% discount using this friends and family code.
- Show your support for the Show by buying through our trusted partners. You can find more information on the Support the Show page.
Did Leslie inspire you to do something differently at your next in-person event? Share your comments in the show notes for this episode at http://creativeyarnentrepreneur.com/episode66. You can also comment in the Creative Yarn Entrepreneurs Facebook group, comment on the Creative Yarn Entrepreneur Facebook page, Tweet me at @cyeshow, add me to your G+ circle and send me a note, or leave a message at 646-713-8973.
You can subscribe to the Creative Yarn Entrepreneur Show on on Google Play Music, iTunes, Stitcher, or TuneIn. Please leave an honest review on iTunes or Stitcher and join the mailing list. I’ll let people on the list know in advance about special guests and topics so you can share your questions.
77 episodes available. A new episode about every 12 days averaging 42 mins duration .