Manage episode 292770445 series 2151271
Learn about imaginary beams of motion coming from people’s eyes; where lost luggage ends up; and octopus sleep cycles.
Following someone's gaze may involve imagining a beam of motion from their eyes by Grant Currin
- Our Brains “See” Beams Of Motion Emanating From People’s Faces Towards The Object Of Their Attention. (2021, February 25). Research Digest; Research Digest. https://digest.bps.org.uk/2021/02/25/our-brains-see-beams-of-motion-emanating-from-peoples-faces-towards-the-object-of-their-attention/
- Guterstam, A., & Graziano, M. S. A. (2020). Visual motion assists in social cognition. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 117(50), 32165–32168. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.2021325117
- Guterstam, A., & Graziano, M. S. A. (2020). Implied motion as a possible mechanism for encoding other people’s attention. Progress in Neurobiology, 190, 101797. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pneurobio.2020.101797
- Guterstam, A., Wilterson, A. I., Wachtell, D., & Graziano, M. S. A. (2020). Other people’s gaze encoded as implied motion in the human brain. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 117(23), 13162–13167. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.2003110117
This Is Where Most of the Lost Luggage in the US Ends Up originally aired May 10, 2018 https://omny.fm/shows/curiosity-daily/everything-repellent-clothing-resonant-breathing-a
We finally discovered alternating sleep states in an octopus by Cameron Duke
- Medeiros, S. L. de S., Paiva, M. M. M. de, Lopes, P. H., Blanco, W., Lima, F. D. de, Oliveira, J. B. C. de, Medeiros, I. G., Sequerra, E. B., Souza, S. de, Leite, T. S., & Ribeiro, S. (2021). Cyclic alternation of quiet and active sleep states in the octopus. IScience, 0(0). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.isci.2021.102223
- Schnell, A. (2021, April 1). Sleeping octopuses might experience fleeting dreams – new study. The Conversation. https://theconversation.com/sleeping-octopuses-might-experience-fleeting-dreams-new-study-158237#:~:text=During%20quiet%20sleep%2C%20octopuses%20are
Subscribe to Curiosity Daily to learn something new every day with Cody Gough and Ashley Hamer. You can also listen to our podcast as part of your Alexa Flash Briefing; Amazon smart speakers users, click/tap “enable” here: https://www.amazon.com/Curiosity-com-Curiosity-Daily-from/dp/B07CP17DJY
See omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.