Manage episode 296792185 series 2151271
Learn how weird dreams may help us in the real world; how we date dinosaurs; and why a healthy grip means a healthy body.
A theory from AI says our weird dreams help us better perceive the world by Briana Brownell
- Our dreams’ weirdness might be why we have them, argues new AI-inspired theory of dreaming. (2021). EurekAlert! https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2021-05/cp-odw050621.php
- Hoel, E. (2021). The overfitted brain: Dreams evolved to assist generalization. Patterns, 2(5), 100244. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.patter.2021.100244
Paleontologists know how old dinosaurs were when they died because bones are like tree rings by Cameron Duke
- Anonymous. (2019, June 11). Which Dinosaur Bones Are “Real”? Field Museum. https://www.fieldmuseum.org/blog/which-dinosaur-bones-are-real
- Field Museum. (2020, November 25). Growth Rings From Fossil Bones Reveals T. rex Had Huge Growth Spurts, but Other Dinosaurs Grew “Slow and Steady.” SciTechDaily. https://scitechdaily.com/growth-rings-from-fossil-bones-reveals-t-rex-had-huge-growth-spurts-but-other-dinosaurs-grew-slow-and-steady/
- Welsh, J. (2012, June 27). How Sweet! Dinosaurs May Have Been Warm-Blooded After All. Livescience.com; Live Science. https://www.livescience.com/21215-dinosaur-bones-warm-blooded.html
- Wits University. (2021, May 12). Southern African dinosaur had irregular growth. Phys.org; Phys.org. https://phys.org/news/2021-05-southern-african-dinosaur-irregular-growth.html
A Healthy Grip Means a Healthy Body by Ashley Hamer
- Grip Strength Is Good Indicator of Overall Health - UConn Today. (2011, June 6). UConn Today. https://today.uconn.edu/2011/06/grip-strength-is-good-indicator-of-overall-health/#
- Sanderson, W. C., & Scherbov, S. (2014). Measuring the Speed of Aging across Population Subgroups. PLoS ONE, 9(5), e96289. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0096289
- Mukherjee, S., Clouston, S., Kotov, R., Bromet, E., & Luft, B. (2019). Handgrip Strength of World Trade Center (WTC) Responders: The Role of Re-Experiencing Posttraumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) Symptoms. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 16(7), 1128. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph16071128
Follow Curiosity Daily on your favorite podcast app to learn something new every day with Cody Gough and Ashley Hamer. Still curious? Get exclusive science shows, nature documentaries, and more real-life entertainment on discovery+! Go to https://discoveryplus.com/curiosity to start your 7-day free trial. discovery+ is currently only available for US subscribers.
See omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.