Manage episode 293942632 series 2151271
Learn what the elevator can teach us about our past and our future. Plus: surprising discoveries from bomb-pulse dating.
Additional resources from Jason Feifer:
- Build for Tomorrow podcast: https://www.jasonfeifer.com/build-for-tomorrow/
- Website: https://www.jasonfeifer.com/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/heyfeifer
"Bomb pulse dating" is how scientists measure the age of living cells using nuclear fallout by Briana Brownell
- Eveleth, R. (2013, February 19). Nuclear Bombs Made It Possible to Carbon Date Human Tissue. Smithsonian Magazine; Smithsonian Magazine. https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/nuclear-bombs-made-it-possible-to-carbon-date-human-tissue-20074710/
- Mohan, G. (2013, July). Nuclear fallout drops the bomb on ivory poachers. Los Angeles Times; Los Angeles Times. https://www.latimes.com/science/la-xpm-2013-jul-01-la-sci-sn-nuclear-fallout-poachers-20130630-story.html
- Zoppi, U., Skopec, Z., Skopec, J., Jones, G., Fink, D., Hua, Q., Jacobsen, G., Tuniz, C., & Williams, A. (2004). Forensic applications of 14C bomb-pulse dating. Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research Section B: Beam Interactions with Materials and Atoms, 223-224, 770–775. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nimb.2004.04.143
- Eriksson, P. S., Perfilieva, E., Björk-Eriksson, T., Alborn, A.-M., Nordborg, C., Peterson, D. A., & Gage, F. H. (1998). Neurogenesis in the adult human hippocampus. Nature Medicine, 4(11), 1313–1317. https://doi.org/10.1038/3305
- Arnold, C. (2013, December 11). Cold War Bomb Testing Is Solving Biology’s Biggest Mysteries. Pbs.org; Nova. https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/article/bomb-pulse/
- Krulwich, R. (2008, November 16). How A-Bomb Testing Changed Our Trees. NPR.org. https://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=96750869?storyId=96750869
See omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.