Episode 12 – Personalized Nutrition Based On Your Gut Microbiome: Interview with Dr. Stephen Barrie from Viome
Manage episode 214439211 series 2087278
Fix your gut, fix your health. That is the sentiment that Dr. Stephen Barrie espouses in his work as a founding pioneer in the gut microbiome field for the last 35 years. His most recent work in developing Viome provides personalized nutrition recommendations based on your gut microbiome to support your health.
Dr. Barrie is a physician, entrepreneur, scientist, teacher, keynote speaker, and author. He founded Genova Diagnostics in 1986 and developed the first clinical intestinal permeability lab test, SIBO breath test, and comprehensive stool analysis. Dr. Barrie has also spent seven years assisting the Chinese Central Government in incorporating Functional Medicine into their healthcare system.
As the Chief Business Development Officer at Viome, Dr. Stephen Barrie has contributed to a system that takes microbiome testing to a new dimension. Viome offers home testing with results accessed through a phone app. Results show gut, metabolic and body scores, as well as what you can do to support keeping your gut microbiome, and therefore you, healthy.
Viome helps you understand how the bacteria in your gut affects your health, what bacteria you have and how to feed it with foods that are optimal for you. It can even help you support proper blood sugar regulation by recommending foods that help balance your gut microbiome.
Listen in as Dave Korsunsky, Founder of Heads Up Health, talks to Dr. Stephen Barrie about how both of their companies help people quantify elements of their health — sometimes a puzzle! –and how this health data empowers users to take control of their health so they can make their own decisions.
This podcast is brought to you by Heads Up Health, a web app designed to help you centrally track all of your vital health data. Instantly synchronize your medical records, connect your favorite health devices and apps and use your data to optimize your health!
Click on the button below to start your free 30-day trial. Or, read on for more information about our latest podcast episode!
In this podcast you’ll learn:
- How we can understand the activity of the microbiome with Viome and gain practical info on how to implement the findings
- What a microbiome is and how it’s bigger than just your gut
- That the metabolic genetic activity of the gut is 1000 times more than all our other human cells
- How there are 8000+ different species and the more species you have, the better your health
- How a dysbiotic gut means that your health is affected due to the diversity getting narrower, creating an unstable environment
- Why the cause of virtually every chronic disease is the microbiome, including Alzheimer’s and Autism
- How to get started with Viome and the user-friendly app
- Results provided are implementable, as the data is interpreted with algorithms that are beyond human interpretation
- How based on your gut microbiome, you can react positively or negatively to a food no matter how healthy it is
- Why Dr. Barrie believes there is no one universal healthy diet, that it depends on what is going in your gut microbiome
- That you can restore your gut health and open up your diet to many more healthy foods
- How we can look at the gut to provide insight into glycemic reactions of foods without having to test blood sugar
- Due to gut microbiome differences, two people can eat the same thing and have different blood sugar reactions
- That the effectiveness of cancer immunotherapy and the gut microbiome are linked
- How you can combine the personalized nutrition suggestions from Viome with any dietary restrictions you already follow for deeper healing
- That the gut can up- or down- regulate the inflammatory pathways in the body
- Staying on a restricting healing diet, too long, can be detrimental to long-term results, so retesting can give you new personalized nutrition suggestions every few months
- You can reduce flares of autoimmune diseases by supporting your gut health
- How HRV can be linked to gut microbiome activity and health with tracking
- Most brain activity is not independent but following what the gut is telling it
- Improving your HRV will also help improve your microbiome and vice versa as your microbiome sends messages out and is also listening to incoming input
- What a PREbiotic is and how it supports the gut microbiome
- How you can narrow in on what probiotic strains you need and what foods benefit their colonization based on Viome results
- How in the future Viome and Heads Up Health can be linked to provide greater data integration for you to implement
- A YouTube (coming soon) screen share of what the Viome app looks like
- Learn about specific probiotic strains identified in your sample
- Viome discount link
- Dr. Barrie’s book 7-Day Detox Miracle
- Dr. Barrie’s book Energize Your Life
- Potential of manipulating gut microbiome to boost efficacy of cancer immunotherapies
- Gut bacteria can stop cancer drugs from working
- Oncologists tap the microbiome in bid to improve immunotherapy outcomes
Learn more about LEVL, a clinical-grade ketone breath meter, which measures your level of fat-burning and ketosis through a simple breath. Find out more at HeadsUpHealth.com/LEVL.
You can learn more about the Oura ring, a state of the art ring that can track sleep cycle analysis, activity, and recovery at HeadsUpHealth.com/Oura.
Learn more about Keto-Mojo, a highly accurate and affordable device for testing blood sugar and blood ketones. Check it out at HeadsUpHealth.com/Ketomojo.
All of these amazing products are integrated with Heads Up Health.
They all allow you to quantify your health in novel and powerful ways.
Thank you to our partners!
About Heads Up Health
Heads Up Health is a website designed to empower individuals who want to take a self-directed approach to managing their health. Instantly centralize your medical records, connect your favorite devices and apps (e.g., Oura, MyFitnessPal, Keto-Mojo, FitBit, Apple Health, MyMacros+, Withings and many more) and use your data to optimize your health.
Click on the button below to start your free 30-day trial now!
56 episodes available. A new episode about every 15 days averaging 49 mins duration .