Data Futurology - Data Science, Analytics, Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence For Leaders
#77 Solving Complex Data Problems at a Venture Capital Firm with Angela Wilkins – Founder and Managing Director
Manage episode 246187676 series 2310475
Angela Wilkins is the founder and Chief Scientist at Mercury Data Science (MDS) where she works with Mercury's portfolio companies to identify solutions for complex data problems. Prior to MDS, Angela was a member of faculty research at Baylor College of Medicine and led projects at the policy think tank, Center of Science and Law. She developed her machine learning knowledge in the biomedical field as part of IBM's Watson AI and DARPA Simplex Project. Angela received her M.S and Ph.D. from Lehigh University, all in Theoretical Physics.
Enjoy the show!
We speak about:
- [01:10] How Angela started in the data space
- [03:45] Using proteins to understand aging
- [07:35] Setting team expectations
- [09:15] Challenges at Baylor
- [15:15] Using data science to make policy
- [18:30] Leading seminars on machine learning and data science
- [22:05] TrendKite – putting the right data in front of the PR person
- [26:40] The transition from academia into business
- [30:15] Rapid fire questions
- [35:00] Future data science challenges
- [36:10] Do as many things as you can
Angela’s LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/adwilkins
Mercury Fund: https://mercuryfund.com
- “We look to see how proteins, drugs, and diseases interact.”
- “We came up with an algorithm for aligning protein networks along multiple species.”
- “I left Baylor because I needed new problems.”
- “Algorithms are useful everywhere.”
Thank you to our sponsors:
Fyrebox - Make Your Own Quiz!
Gain the advanced strategic, leadership and data science capabilities required to influence executive leadership teams and deliver organisation-wide solutions.
Visit online.rmit.edu.au for more information
And as always, we appreciate your Reviews, Follows, Likes, Shares and Ratings. Thank you so much for listening. Enjoy the show!--- Send in a voice message: https://anchor.fm/datafuturology/message