Manage episode 277393405 series 2801595
In this episode I’ll discuss some keys to remember when examining a dataset for the first time.
02:25 - Do #1 - Look at your data carefully
05:32 - Don’t #1 - Don’t try to bite off too much
07:32 - Do #2 - Look for patterns and trends
10:15 - Do #3 - Consider the data source
13:13 - Do #4 - Identify blind spots in your data
15:22 - Don’t #2 - Don’t include incomplete or missing data
Survey of Data Workers:
The Last Record:
- Look at the data carefully
- Do you have all the fields that you will need?
- Is it a number field? Is it text?
- Look for the patterns and trends
- Consider the source
- Are there controls in your data?
- Are you pulling from an outside source that may not always be available or updated?
- Identify the blind spots in your data
- Think about the questions you can answer using this data.
- Are there any limitations? If there are, you may need to supplement with additional data.