Manage episode 183031559 series 32120
In this episode we have famous cartoonist and comics theorist Scott McCloud. Scott wrote the popular books Understanding Comics (1993), Reinventing Comics (2000), and Making Comics (2006), which explain the theory and practice behind making comics and telling stories visually.
Scott has gained a big following among data visualization designers over the years. By following the strategies he describes in his books, one can develop rich narratives that are useful in data visualization as well as comics.
On the show we talk about his books, the power of frames, Scott’s definition of story, virtual reality, and what people in vis can learn from comic artists.
Enjoy the show!
Data Stories is brought to you by Qlik. Are you missing out on meaningful relationships hidden in your data? Unlock the whole story with Qlik Sense through personalized visualizations and dynamic dashboards which you can download for free at qlik.de/datastories.
- Scott McCloud
- Scott’s TED Talk
- Scott’s wikipedia page
- Scott’s comic on Google Chrome
- Book: Understanding Comics: The Invisible Art
- Tilt Brush (integrating virtual reality)
1. Our sponsor: Qlik (00:00:14)
2. Welcome from Moritz (00:00:51)
3. Introducing Scott McCloud (00:01:09)
4. Understanding Comics: The Invisible Art (00:03:58)
5. The power of frames (00:07:19)
6. Scott's definition of story (00:12:40)
7. Integrating virtual reality (00:22:49)
8. What people in data viz can learn from comic artists (00:29:06)
9. Scott's new book project: An Elements of Style for the visual world (00:33:40)
10. Get in touch & back us on Patreon (00:37:29)
11. Our sponsor: Qlik (00:38:59)
142 episodes available. A new episode about every 17 days averaging 46 mins duration .