Manage episode 166587672 series 32120
Book illustrator and product designer Abigail Ricarte and data journalist Liv Buli join us to talk about their Kickstarter project, VizKidz, an illustrated book series designed to teach kids about data visualization.
The series features four lovely characters: Penelope Pie, Laney Line, Barnaby Bar, and Bertie Boxplot, each with a specific “personality.”
On the show we talk about how the project started, how they designed the characters, and what it takes to launch a data visualization project on Kickstarter.
Enjoy the show!
This episode of Data Stories is sponsored by Qlik, which allows you to explore the hidden relationships within your data that lead to meaningful insights. Check out the blog post about how Qlik’s vice president taught first graders some data visualization skills. And make sure to try out Qlik Sense for free at: qlik.de/datastories.
1. Our sponsor: Qlik (00:00:08)
2. Welcome from Moritz and Enrico (00:00:50)
3. Introducing the VizKidz book series and authors Liv Buli and Abigail Ricarte (00:01:22)
4. Abigail Ricarte, product designer (00:02:00)
5. Liv Buli, data journalist (00:02:42)
6. The concept behind the book series (00:04:59)
7. The characters (00:07:09)
8. The Kickstarter campaign (00:11:48)
9. Our sponsor: Qlik (00:13:53)
10. Lessons learned for Kickstarter success (00:15:42)
11. Listener question: Penelope Pie and the data viz controversy over pie charts (00:17:26)
12. Audience reception: how kids respond (00:19:46)
13. How to get copies of the series (00:21:18)
14. Our sponsor: Qlik (00:24:47)
142 episodes available. A new episode about every 17 days averaging 46 mins duration .