Manage episode 174109856 series 32120
We have designer Valentina D’Efilippo and researcher Miriam Quick on the show to talk about their recent project OddityViz, a series of data visualizations of “Space Oddity,” the famous David Bowie song.
Valentina and Miriam deconstructed “Space Oddity” into multiple data sets to capture different aspects of the song: its narrative, rhythm, melody, and lyrics. Then they used each element to create a a unique data visualization piece.
They printed the visualizations as a series of posters and laser-carved acrylic black discs. Beautiful!
On the show we talk about their background, the process they followed to develop the project, and the events happening around it.
Enjoy the show!
Data Stories is brought to you by Qlik. Are you missing out on meaningful relationships hidden in your data? Unlock the whole story with Qlik Sense through personalized visualizations and dynamic dashboards which you can download for free at qlik.de/datastories.
- Project’s website: https://www.oddityviz.com
- Twitter and instagram: @oddityviz
- David Bowie’s Space Oddity: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYYRH4apXDo
- Shop: Art prints
- Valentina’s The Infographic History of the World
- Wieden+Kennedy: http://www.wk.com/
- OddityViz data set
- Melodyne sonic visualization tool: http://www.celemony.com/en/melodyne/what-is-melodyne
- Visualized Milan: http://visualized.com/milan/
- Miriam: http://miriamquick.com
- Valentina: http://www.valentinadefilippo.co.uk
Help Data Stories get crowdfunded! You can find the details at our Patreon page: https://www.patreon.com/datastories.
1. Our sponsor: Qlik (00:00:15)
2. Hello from Moritz and Enrico! (00:01:00)
3. Welcome to our guests from OddityViz (00:01:28)
4. Introducing Miriam Quick (00:01:55)
5. Introducing Valentina D'Efilippo (00:03:16)
6. Their OddityViz project (00:05:03)
7. Exhibiting at Wieden+Kennedy (00:07:02)
8. The initial impetus for the project (00:08:24)
9. The design process (00:12:02)
10. How to generate the data? (00:17:56)
11. Tools for sonic visualization (00:19:35)
12. The last record: gathering data from people (00:22:35)
13. Deciding on the format for presentation (00:26:59)
14. Surprises and lessons from the project (00:32:29)
15. Thank you, Miriam and Valentina! (00:36:06)
16. Our sponsor: Qlik (00:40:11)
142 episodes available. A new episode about every 17 days averaging 46 mins duration .