Manage episode 174986483 series 32120
In this episode, we have Alberto Cairo from the University of Miami on the show to talk about his newly announced lecture series on “Trumpery” and uncertainty.
Visualization and statistics promise to help people think and behave more rationally, but as we all know there is much more to fulfilling this promise than just showing “the right” graph.
With Alberto we touch upon many topics including partisanship and rhetoric, visualizing uncertainty and risk, and cognitive biases.
There is of course always much more to say on these topics, but this is a good start!
Enjoy the show.
Data Stories is brought to you by Qlik. Are you missing out on meaningful relationships hidden in your data? Unlock the whole story with Qlik Sense through personalized visualizations and dynamic dashboards which you can download for free at qlik.de/datastories.
- *** Donate to our crowd-funding initiative on Patreon!
- Data Cuisine Kosovo
- Eyeo Festival
- Digital Humanities & Data Journalism Symposium
- The term “Trumpery”
- Frankfurt’s On Bullshit
- Course: Calling Bullshit in the Age of Big Data
- Jessica Hullman
- Paper: Hypothetical Outcome Plots Outperform Error Bars and Violin Plots for Inferences about Reliability of Variable Ordering
- Book: Naked Statistics
- Book: Geoff Cumming’s Understanding The New Statistics: Effect Sizes, Confidence Intervals, and Meta-Analysis (Multivariate Applications Series)
- Book: Steven Sloman and Philip Fernbach’s The Knowledge Illusion: Why We Never Think Alone
1. Our sponsor: Qlik (00:00:12)
2. Moritz turns 40 (00:00:54)
3. Data Cuisine Kosovo (00:01:36)
4. Don't forget our crowd-funding initiative on Patreon! (00:02:18)
5. Conference season is upon us! (00:03:36)
6. Eyeo Festival (00:05:04)
7. Welcome Alberto Cairo (00:06:24)
8. Digital Humanities & Data Journalism Symposium (00:07:24)
9. On bullshit (00:08:36)
10. Alberto on Trumpery (00:10:49)
11. Trumpery in data visualization (00:13:58)
12. The problem of partisanship and rhetoric in contemporary conversation (00:20:56)
13. Climate change: a case study of truth and trumpery (00:24:18)
14. Visualizing uncertainty and risk (00:25:46)
15. Understanding how to visualize uncertainty through a historical lens (00:33:54)
16. Combatting cognitive bias (00:47:53)
17. Invite Alberto to come to your city for his upcoming lecture series on Trumpery! (00:49:45)
18. How to expand our audiences and make our messages more persuasive (00:54:01)
19. Thank you Alberto Cairo! (01:00:43)
20. Get in touch & back us on Patreon (01:01:05)
21. Our sponsor: Qlik (01:02:38)
147 episodes available. A new episode about every 17 days averaging 47 mins duration .