Manage episode 177458065 series 32120
We have Jarke Van Wijk on the show this week. Jarke is a professor of visualization in the Department of Mathematics and Computer Science at Eindhoven University of Technology and an important historical figure (shall we say legend?) in visualization research.
Many amazing innovative techniques have been developed in his lab, including the widely adopted squarified treemaps (treemaps optimized to use rectangles as close as possible to squares) and hierarchical edge bundling (a technique to bundle the links of a graph together).
In this episode we hear the stories behind many of the innovations developed by Jarke and his group. Jarke also speaks to us about how to make cool stuff; the relationship between design, engineering and research; and artistry in visualization.
Enjoy the show!
Data Stories is brought to you by Qlik. Are you missing out on meaningful relationships hidden in your data? Unlock the whole story with Qlik Sense through personalized visualizations and dynamic dashboards which you can download for free at qlik.de/datastories.
- Jarke Van Wijk Website
- Eagereyes guest post: Jarke ‘Jack’ Van Wijk’s List of Influences
- Paper: “The Value of Visualization” (2005)
- Jarke’s VIS 2013 Capstone (video)
- Martin Wattenberg’s Map of the Market
- Treevis.net: A Visual Biography of Tree Visualization
- Unfolding the Earth: Myriahedral Projections
- YouTube video of Unfolding the Earth: Myriahedral Projections
1. Our sponsor: Qlik (00:00:11)
2. How should we celebrate our 100th episode? (00:00:53)
3. Welcoming Jarke Van Wijk to the show (00:01:27)
4. Jarke on building cool things (00:04:53)
5. Jarke's innovations in network analysis and edge bundling (00:13:10)
6. Jarke's innovations in tree maps (00:17:22)
7. Are there everyday cases for visual analytics? (00:27:31)
8. A challenge of viz: the design space is so big (00:31:37)
9. Jarke's artistic work: Myriahedral Projections (00:42:15)
10. Jarke on the value of math in visualization (00:50:07)
11. Check out more of Jarke's work! (00:54:55)
12. Get in touch & back us on Patreon (00:55:18)
13. Our sponsor: Qlik (00:56:47)
148 episodes available. A new episode about every 17 days averaging 47 mins duration .