Manage episode 180444901 series 32120
It’s great to see such a big company hire a high caliber data viz professional like Kim and create a position with this name. Things seems to be moving in the right direction for viz after all!
Curious about what this news might mean for the industry, we invited Kim and her new boss Steph — Head of Content, Culture, and AI Design at Capital One — to learn about their plans.
This episode is a nice counterpoint to the episode we recently recorded with Elijah Meeks, which centered on the issues that data visualization professionals are facing in the industry.
Now, with Kim and Steph we talk about the decision to create this position, the value Capital One sees in visualization, and how they plan to scale visualization to a company of 40,000 employees.
Enjoy the show!
We’re collecting listener questions, ideas, and suggestions about Data Stories for our upcoming 100th episode. Leave us a message at +1-413-650-2713 and we may just feature your voice in the podcast!
Data Stories is brought to you by Qlik. Are you missing out on meaningful relationships hidden in your data? Unlock the whole story with Qlik Sense through personalized visualizations and dynamic dashboards which you can download for free at qlik.de/datastories.
- Kim Rees: https://www.linkedin.com/in/kimrees/
- Steph Hay: http://www.stephaniehay.com/
- “New directions for Kim“
- “A Grand New Adventure”
- “Launching Data Visualization at Capital One”
1. Our sponsor: Qlik (00:00:04)
2. Welcome back to Data Stories! (00:00:49)
3. Call us! We need your help with Episode 100! (00:01:52)
4. Introducing our guests Kim Rees and Steph Hay from Capital One (00:02:20)
5. Welcome Kim Rees: (00:03:37)
6. Welcome Steph Hay: (00:04:37)
7. How Kim came to join Capital One (00:07:28)
8. Imagining Kim's future role (00:11:42)
9. How to scale Kim's work to a company of 40,000 people (00:17:40)
10. The importance of working for the right company (00:37:27)
11. Advice for data viz practitioners interested in working for a company (00:40:56)
12. Closing (00:46:06)
13. Get in touch & back us on Patreon (00:47:41)
14. Our sponsor: Qlik (00:49:11)
142 episodes available. A new episode about every 17 days averaging 46 mins duration .