Manage episode 197942244 series 1972942
“The flicker rate is really high that you can’t perceive it but your eyes start to synchronize with this. It’s like pumping in fitness, pumping your muscle. Every second this happens, hundreds of times per second. So we need this flicker rate to be the maximum amount to not feel eye pain.”
Daniel Georgiev is the developer of Iris and a native of Bulgaria. Daniel, 22, developed this program after experiencing eye damage at a young age due to excessive amounts of programming.
Think of Iris as Flux or Night Shift on steroids. Iris allows you to control the temperature of your screen, the flicker in the background, and the emission of blue light.
I use it every single day on my computer, on my phone, and on my iPad. Iris has really revolutionized my relationship with the computer in terms of my day to day work. I am able to work longer, more effectively, and know that my eyes are not getting damaged.
- Why computer screens are harming our eyes
- Blue light and its impact on melatonin secretion
- The differences between Iris, Flux, and Nightshift
- How your monitor flickers and why the flicker rate is damaging your eyes
- What is pulse width modulation
- The benefits of adjusting your screen’s color temperature based on the day
- How every profession involving a computer would benefit from Iris, including designers
- Why Daniel ended up sleeping in his car and showering at the gym when he started Iris
- The two things Daniel believes everyone should do to increase performance.
Research and Links:
- Daniel’s Ted Talk “How Technology is Killing our Eyes”
- Blue light’s disruption of melatonin production
- Iris’ collection of articles on technology and your eyes
- Dr. Mercola’s article on flicker and how LED compromises your health
If you want to try Iris or Iris Pro for yourself, click here. There are both free and paid versions. Iris Mini Pro costs USD 5 and Iris Pro costs USD 10. Considering the amount of time everyone spends in front of the computer, as well as the long-term benefits to your eyes, this is a bargain.
13 episodes available. A new episode about every 6 days averaging 40 mins duration .