Manage episode 247537939 series 2438093
Joseph Armstrong (@josepharmstrongyoga) is a Level 2 Authorized Ashtanga yoga teacher and practitioner, who runs the morning Mysore program at Miami Life Center and offer courses on OmStars.com. He credits the spiritual inquiry of yoga paired with recovery philosophy for pulling him out of a life of generational trauma, IV drug use, and despair. Joseph is an animal lover, sci-fi junkie, and newlywed.
In this episode, you’ll hear from Joseph on:
- [19.15] Listening to his inner voice and letting intuition guide his life choices. After a long period of drug use and addiction, Joseph credits yoga with giving him the ability to make better decisions that have a positive impact on his health and relationships.
- [23.14] Joseph talks candidly about his family’s history of addiction and how his experience of neglect and abandonment led to his own struggle with drugs. He reveals how his difficult childhood contributed to his self-destructive behavior and made him uncertain how to relate to others.
- [34.37] His introduction to Ashtanga and its role in his recovery. The rigorous and structured practice of Ashtanga provided Joseph with a disciplined daily routine and a sense of stability that had been previously missing from his life.
- [43.11] His desire to exist gently. Joseph sees yoga as a mirror that allows him to develop a deeper sense of self-awareness, authenticity and acceptance. He believes that being kinder, more forgiving and gentler to ourselves can help us to become more thoughtful and compassionate to others.
- [46.50] The pleasure he derives from the company of animals and his opposition to animal cruelty and exploitation. Joseph is a passionate advocate for animal rights, vegetarianism and veganism and he urges us to treat animals as sentient beings whose lives have value and meaning beyond their function as commodities for food and clothing.
- Visit henryyoga.com to learn how to level up your yoga practice in just 40 days.
- Follow @henryyoga.app on Instagram
- Check out Rainbo to view their collection of medicinal mushrooms that can elevate your body, mind and spirit. Use code “HENRYWINS” at checkout to claim 15% off your purchase.
- Veronica Lombo and I are going on a tour through Europe beginning in January. You can check out all the details at https://henrywins.com/events/
Links from this episode:
- Miami Life Center - a yoga center dedicated to the study of Yoga in the lineage of Krishnamacharya, Pattabhi Jois and his grandson R. Sharath Jois, where Joseph is a teacher
- Buddhism Without Beliefs: A Contemporary Guide to Awakening by Stephen Batchelor - Grab a copy of Joseph’s recommended book
- Looking for your next book to read? Check out the list of every book recommended on Dharma Talk
Get in touch with Joseph:
- Follow @josepharmstrongyoga on Instagram
- Visit www.josepharmstrongyoga.com
- Stream Joseph’s online classes at OmStars
Support the Podcast:
- If you find this podcast valuable you can support it directly by visiting: henrywins.com/donate