Manage episode 258399470 series 2438093
Jules Mitchell MS, CMT, RYT (@julesyoga) is a Las Vegas-based yoga teacher, educator, and massage therapist. She blends the tradition of yoga with her extensive study in biomechanics to help teachers develop their craft and empower them with education. She regularly contributes to yoga teacher training programs and leads workshops worldwide, balancing the somatic aspects of yoga with the most current exercise science. Bringing the most useful and applicable pieces of that science into the yoga community is her passion, even when it invokes a discerning analysis of tradition. Her book, Yoga Biomechanics: Stretching Redefined, is now available through Handspring Publishing.
In this episode, you’ll hear from Jules Mitchell on:
- [14.50] Her introduction to biomechanics. Jules began studying biomechanics, the principle of applying physics to the human body, in her thirties when she was already working as a yoga teacher. She describes how her studies had an immediate professional impact when she was able to apply her scientific knowledge in her yoga classes.
- [20.57] Tissue mechanics. She explains how tissue behaves and adapts when force is applied. Teaching the fundamentals of tissue mechanics forms an important part of her yoga teacher training because it makes it easier to navigate conversations about injury.
- [22.53] The resilience and capability of the human body. Jules expresses her amazement at the ability of the human body to withstand stress and cautions against the assumption of fragility and the practice of excessive protective guarding.
- [42.52] Her personal practice. For Jules, the study of anatomy is a spiritual practice, a celebration of the intricacies of the human body, which allows her to understand herself and others better.
- [50.20] Stretching redefined. Henry and Jules discuss her book which encourages yoga instructors to apply the principles of biomechanics and refine the language and attitudes they adopt in their teaching.
- Visit henryyoga.com to learn how to level up your yoga practice in just 40 days. Use code “HOMEPRACTICE” to get lifetime access to the Henry Yoga App for just $25
- Follow @henryyoga.app on Instagram
- Go to http://www.warriorbridge.com/#schedule-section to view their virtual class schedule
- Visit www.wayteamshop.com to learn more about their design and marketing services.
Links from this episode:
- The Story of the Human Body: Evolution, Health, and Disease by Daniel Lieberman - Grab a copy of Jules’ recommended book
- Get Jules’ book - Yoga Biomechanics: Stretching Redefined
- Looking for your next book to read? Check out the list of every book recommended on Dharma Talk
Get in touch with Jules:
Support the Podcast:
- If you find this podcast valuable you can support it directly by visiting: henrywins.com/donate