East Glendale Advice Givers | Business Owners | Entrepreneurs | Interviewing Our Community's Brightest Minds | Ron Nedd
Episode 009: Betty Porto, Porto’s Bakery. Baking Tips, Business Principles, & Being #1 on Yelp’s 2016 Top 100 Places to Eat in the U.S.
Manage episode 191228791 series 1576321
You don’t get to #1 on Yelp’s Top 100 Places to Eat in the U.S. by sitting on your butt. The story of Rosa Porto and Porto’s Bakery is legendary and the 3 Porto children have taken what their mother started and turned it into one of the most successful and beloved bakery chains in California. Betty Porto isn’t afraid of hard work and doesn’t hold back when asked for her opinions. She is the daughter of Rosa & Raul Porto, a co-owner and, as the Vice President of Community Relations, is the public face of this well-known SoCal bakery and cafe chain. Delicious items made with high quality ingredients, priced affordably for middle class families, is a principle that Porto’s operates on. The story everyone has heard was about their time in Cuba, their move to the U.S. and the start of Porto’s bakery – up to the success of the Glendale location. We’re going to continue the story from that point and find out more than you’ve ever heard before about what makes Porto’s so successful. On location at the Porto’s Bakery and Cafe in Downey, today you’ll hear about:
- What it took to go from one location to two and why that was the hardest thing they had to do. A great story and some great info for any businessperson or entrepreneur.
- The different parts of the bakeries, how they function separately and how they work together.
- The process for research, development and the roll-out of new items, seasonal items and holiday favorites.
- What you should do if you want to improve your baking skills when you just want to be an amateur baker.
- Betty’s advice for anyone who has a passion for cooking/baking and does want a culinary career.
- What women entrepreneurs need to do both personally and professionally to be successful.
- Lots of baking tips sprinkled throughout.
- Porto’s ongoing, consistent contribution to the homeless, children, the elderly – those in society who most need a hand.
Glendale – 315 N Brand Blvd, Glendale, CA 91203
Burbank – 3614 W Magnolia Blvd, Burbank, CA 91505
Downey – 8233 Firestone Blvd, Downey, CA 90241
Buena Park – 7640 Beach Blvd, Buena Park, CA 90620
20 episodes available. A new episode about every 8 days averaging 36 mins duration .