ATC 316: Do Vasectomies Affect Performance? (Lucho Shares His Experience) Plus: Coffee Talk and Programming Effective Recovery
Manage episode 268591857 series 1615
Sponsor:Body Health’s PerfectAmino® 300-count Tablets are NSF Certified for Sport, so you can trust that they’re clean and free form contaminants and banned substances. What you see is what you get. Please note: at this time it’s just the PerfectAmino® 300 count bottles that are NSF certified but all PerfectAmino® is made under the same roof with the same standards.
PerfectAmino helps you fight fatigue, maintain and/or build lean muscle mass, and better sustain your training loads. It literally counts toward protein grams in your diet and vegan friendly. Buying PerfectAmino through us helps support the podcast and ensures that you are getting the highest efficacy and quality care in your supplements rather than risking old, poorly stored, less efficacious supplements bought elsewhere on the internet.
- Browse our gear enduranceplanet.com/gear – new athletic t-shirts that are super nice, beanies, visors and variety of baby and children’s clothing.
- And our shop page: enduranceplanet.com/shop – Check out new products and classic favorites!
Lucho Rapid Fires:
- Where did you get the nickname Lucho?
- Last name used to be Luchinski. Somewhere around 2004, a cycling training partner started calling him “Lucho” instead of Luchinski, and it stuck. (He since changes his last name, but “Lucho” still sticks).
- Coffee or no coffee before a workout?
- Yes! But Lucho warns against becoming addicted or using it to mask extreme fatigue.
- If you’re new to coffee, don’t overdo it.
- Decaf is a great way to feel some of the psychological benefits of coffee without a big caffeine spike.
- Buy fresh (preferably organic) beans
- Considering weaning off coffee two weeks before an A race. Then you can have coffee on race day and really feel it!
- Lucho’s favorite post-workout meal?
- 60 grams of organic whey protein isolate after the workout with walnuts, almonds, peanuts, and raisins at lunch later. If the workout is super long and intense, he’ll add 60 grams of carbs to his bottle during the workout.
- Mt. Capra mention for non-cow whey protein (comes from goats and their Deep 30 protein includes electrolytes and probiotic).
- Dissect this quote: “I have a saying ‘train, don’t strain.’ The Americans have the saying ‘no pain, no gain’ and that’s why they have no distance running champions. They get down to the track with a stopwatch and flog their guts out thinking that it’ll make them a champion, but they’ll never make a champion that way.”— Arthur Lydiard
- The American system is premised on brutalizing yourself from the age of 13 past college to the pro level. Instead, Lucho thinks you need to spend all that time building your base and becoming durable at high volume. Then, when you’re “bulletproof” you can go hard.
- Lucho also thinks there’s a sociological component. In Kenya/Ethiopia, every athletic hero is a runner. In the US, 10-year-olds are idolizing NFL players. Running isn’t encouraged in this country.
Do vasectomies negatively affect athletic performance?
What the Coaches say:
- No, there is no performance drop-off (because you’re not being castrated). There will be no change in testosterone or any other hormonal change.
- Lucho recommends not getting the vas deferens clip in the procedure. Just do cauterization.
- In his experience, the anxiety of going into the procedure was way worse than the procedure itself. It only takes about 4 minutes and is totally painless.
- Take the recovery seriously (two weeks totally off!).
- Research studies
- Long-term safety, health and mental status in men with vasectomy
- Effect of Short Period Vasectomy on FSH, LH, Inhibin and Testosterone Secretions, and Sperm Motility in Adult Male Rats
- Sperm changes, obviously, but “early bilateral vasectomy does not strongly affect the endocrine function of the testis.” This was in rats.
- Mark Sisson article
- “Evidence strongly suggests that your facilities will remain fully operational, your sex life will improve (or at least stay the same), and your testosterone levels will be unaffected. All they’re doing is capping the vas deferens – the tubes that deliver sperm during ejaculation. You can still ejaculate, and the ‘body’ is none the wiser. You’re just ‘inactive.’”
- Note that vasectomies can fail (like a <10% chance but it’s possible so just fyi).
- Mention: Dr Jolene Brighten’s book: Beyond The Pill
Comparing bike training to run training and negotiating days off?
What the Coaches say:
- The basic physiology is the same between bike and run, but the main difference is that cycling isn’t load bearing so you can do more volume.
- A hard run is going to affect the bike more than a hard bike will affect the run (because running beats you up more).
- The majority of triathletes hire a coach because it’s hard to blend the two!
- Doubling up is essential in tri training.
- Check out Cherie Gruenfeld as bad ass master athlete: https://www.enduranceplanet.com/cherie-gruenfeld-grandmaster-triathlete-racing-her-20th-ironman-world-championship-race-this-year-hear-her-story-and-tips-for-longevity-in-sport/
- Lucho thinks your 5 mile “easy” runs are too challenging, given your long run is 8 to 10.
- Instead of running easy on Friday, double up and do your run after the bike on Thursday. Take Friday off. Total days off are essential.
- You could swim 1K max on recovery days.
- Switching to time versus miles can help ensure you don’t overdo it.