Manage episode 195017501 series 1451691
If there’s one thing women have in common it’s that we are really, *really* good at making ourselves feel crappy. We do this in a variety of ways from people pleasing to trying to be perfect; from catastrophizing to overachieving, or simply isolating ourselves and numbing out because feeling our feelings is simply too scary.
It costs us our happiness and holds us back from the things that we want most - health, happiness, and love, not always in that order. Andrea Owen, life coach and author of “How to Stop Feeling Like Sh*t” offers a no BS explanation on why women engage in these often invisible, but certainly damaging habits.
With wit, humor and bucket loads of compassion, Andrea and I dive deep into the root causes of how and why we create our own suffering and how to navigate the way out.
In this episode we talk about:
- How spiritually bypassing the crap in your life by resorting to “positive thinking” is just as unhelpful as binging on food to numb the pain
- The beginning steps you need to take in order to start feeling your feelings (it’s not as hard or as scary as you might think)
- What a “compassionate witness” is and why everyone needs to have at least one in their life
- How easy and addictive it can be to run from shame - it’s a natural way to try and protect yourself but that are better ways to deal with that painful emotion
- The transformative nature of grief and what Andrea had to cope with after her father passed
- How there’s an “unsexy” side of personal development but yet it’s such an essential part of the self-discovery process
19 episodes available. A new episode about every 12 days averaging 34 mins duration .