Enlightened Entrepreneurial Badasses | Mindset | Brain Performance | Personal Development | Health | Personal Growth
69: Digging Deep into Depression & A Psychologist Suffering Panic Attacks with Dr Perpetua Neo
Manage episode 162629261 series 169966
Wow! What a conversation this was with Perpetua Neo.
For a good while now I've been wanting to get an actual 'mind doctor' on the show. And Perpetua did not disappoint!
She's a clinical psychotherapist and coach who's attended University College London as well as Univeristy of Cambridge. So, in other words, Perpetua knows her shit.
But it's not been a perfect mental health road that you might expect for a psychotherapist.
While she was studying, Perpetua started experiencing debilitating panic attacks that caused her to doubt whether she was cut out to work in the psychology world.
So we talk about her story through this.
As well as a whole host of other things mind and brain related, including one of my favourite subjects... depression (I feel weird saying that's a favourite subject of mine).In The Episode, We Talk About...
- Perpetua's story of recovering from panic attacks while studying to work in psychology.
- Where panic attacks and anxiety stems from (and how to find your root).
- The importance of understanding the 'spotlight effect' for achieving inner peace.
- How to stop feeling like you are a useless failure all the time.
- Depression, where it comes from and how to deal with it.
- Why depression is more about emptiness, not sadness.
- High functioning depression and why it's ok to be depressed, even when you feel like you shouldn't be.
- How to let go of keeping hold of depression as a part of your identity.
- Listen to me also get a little bit of coaching on the call too!
- Contact Perpetua
- How to Meditate for Beginners (3 minute meditation)
- "We Need to Stop Shaming Entrepreneurs for Investing in Themselves" (Perpetua's Huff Po article)
It was lovely talking to Perpetua and I probably could have gone on for several hours more.
So I hope you enjoy listening in on the conversation.
You can give the episode a listen via the player above.
Love, Laughter & Light, Mike
85 episodes available. A new episode about every 4 days averaging 44 mins duration .