Manage episode 235479726 series 1041502
In this episode of the Escape Diet Prison Podcast, I am joined by Fiona Sutherland.
Fiona is an Accredited Practising Dietitian and Director of both The Mindful Dietitian, & Body Positive Australia. She has been practising for over 15 years primarily in the areas of eating behaviour, eating disorders, body image, sports nutrition & education/training. Fiona is a committed Non Diet Dietitian, and is passionate about supporting & educating Health Professionals to develop skills and insight into working with clients from a weight-inclusive, heart centered lens.
She is also host of the Podcast “The Mindful Dietitian” and a Sports Dietitian, working with emerging professional dancers at The Australian Ballet School.
Fiona is a dedicated mindfulness practitioner and Yoga Teacher, bringing a particular emphasis on mindful eating and the intersection of food environment, eating psychology and body image into her work and training. She has trained in MBSR (Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction), MSC (Mindful Self Compassion) and MB-EAT (Mindfulness Based Eating Awareness Training). Fiona is guest lecturer within the Melbourne-based Dietetics courses across four Universities within the areas of eating behaviour, Body Image, counselling skills and the Non Diet Approach.
We talk about:
- Fiona’s journey to being a mindful dietitian and how hearing people’s painful stories of repetitive dieting changed her path
- the importance of taking people’s lived experience seriously as we’re all in the swamp together
- being a role model to your children in order to decrease the costs of the anti-fat messages
- the paradox of being regarded as highly successful but feeling broken inside
- re-learning the skill of tending and befriending yourself by turning towards yourself with kindness
- emotional eating and what it can teach us
- what needs we’re not meeting and how to respond to them with love and gentleness
- the cruelty of our own minds and how to set boundaries
- the core tenants of mindfulness, our negativity bias and why the small moments really count the most
- the fact that periods of restriction are being perceived as a form of neglect and what to do about it
- pushing back on diet culture
Follow Fiona on
Resources we talked about
- Buddha’s Brain: The Practical Neuroscience of Happiness, Love, and Wisdom by Rick Hanson (Affiliate Link)
- Just One Thing Free Newsletter
- Sangeetha Thanapal
- Smiling Mind
- Stop, Breathe & Think
Let’s escape diet prison together. Book your 30-minute Breakthrough Session and begin choosing yourself over and over and over again. Let go of the body hatred, the obsession with being thin and the pain that you might be addicted to. You can heal your life. Starting now.
Love and light,
Want more support? Join the free Escape Diet Prison Facebook group to engage with others who are on the same path as you. We can only grow if we surround ourselves with like-minded people. If you don’t, you’ll stay stuck and that is a promise.
Enjoyed this episode? Share it with others in your life who MUST listen to it right now. YOU are a change maker in this world and your voice needs to be heard.
Thanks for Subscribing to Escape Diet Prison:
Note: This podcasts is now also available on Stitcher!
The post Turn toward Yourself with Kindness with Fiona Sutherland appeared first on Anne-Sophie Reinhardt.