Manage episode 216547964 series 2437761
What is the right reason to quit your job and start your own business?
On this week's episode of Escape The Rat Race Radio I am very pleased to welcome Olympian, motivational speaker and entrepreneur, Kriss Akabusi.
I recently had the pleasure of meeting Kriss at the London Premiere of the new film adaptation of Napoleon Hill’s Classic Personal Development Book ‘Think & Grow Rich’, and after hearing his inspiring talk to the audience I just knew I had to invite him onto the show!
Having amassed three Olympic medals, as well as World, European and Commonwealth titles, Kriss was bestowed with an even greater honour in 1992: an MBE awarded by her Majesty the Queen in recognition of his services to the country through athletics.
Kriss’ first foray into television and entertainment came when he presented Channel 4’s hit breakfast show, The Big Breakfast. This was followed with a full time position as co-presenter of the BBC’s legendary Record Breakers, as well as presenting various other children’s TV programmes.
Kriss’ engaging personality, inspirational speaking style, and remarkable backstory soon led to a growing demand for his services as a professional speaker. For over 20 years, he has given countless keynote speeches and facilitated a wide range of training workshops in the corporate arena, under the umbrella of The Akabusi Company.
Kriss is also an accredited personal coach, having qualified at the Hudson Institute of Santa Barbara. He works with executives and senior managers to help them identify, clarify and achieve their personal and business goals.
If you check out the video footage from this interview on the Escape The Rat Race website you’ll see some of the behind the scenes laughs that Kriss and I had recording this episode, but more importantly you’ll see the sheer passion that Kriss exudes when he speaks about the potential that we as humans all are blessed with, and I think you’re especially going to be inspired by Kriss’ story of how his upbringing really shaped the success he has gone onto achieve over his career, not just in athletics, but in business too.
So it’s time for me to hand over the baton, pick up the pace, and let’s head on over to my interview with Olympian, MBE holder and motivational speaker, Mr Kriss Akabusi.
In this episode you’ll learn…
- Why we should appreciate the opportunity we have ‘right here, right now’ to interact with over 7.5 billion other people on earth
- Why it is so important to surround yourself with people who will support your dreams rather than hold you back
- How joining the army led to Kriss finding his first mentor, which eventually led him to winning an Olympic Medal for the British Athletics Team
- Why it is only important to know what your dream is, what your goal is and what your passion is...today. Don’t get too caught up in trying to predict the future as it can sometimes cause overwhelm
- How Kriss came to the decision to end his athletics career and launch his own company to train and support business owners and entrepreneurs
- How one of the things that holds so many people back is receiving feedback
- Why Kriss loves Millennials, however he does feel they have been served a bad hand
- The big questions of life which Kriss is now asking through his newfound passion of existential psychotherapy
‘I decided at twelve years of age that my mother wasn’t coming back for me, and that I had to be enough’
‘If you’ve got a powerful dream, a real desire, and you really believe in yourself….and talk about it, you will be amazed at the people that come into your life’
‘Trust yourself, go for it, believe in it, hold onto it, and you will find your way’
‘If you tap into your passion, other people will come along and help you to build your dream’
Links & Resources mentioned in this episode:
Connect with Escape The Rat Race...within 12 months:
Thanks for listening!
Thanks so much for joining us this week. Have some feedback you would like to share?
And if you can spare two minutes, we’d love for you to leave us a review on iTunes