Manage episode 150669849 series 1003037
The Heist is a really good album. good kid, m.A.A.d. city is a really good album. How did we get to the point where those two statements sound contradictory?
In these next two episodes, Lucio and I will dig deep into the current, Internet-wide backlash against Macklemore, by which we’re more than a little baffled. It seems to come down to one core question (the first half of which we’ll cover this week, and the second half of which we’ll cover next week). The question is, who the hell is this straight white guy to be winning hip-hop Grammys and staging massive spectacles in support of gay rights?
Well, he’s an independent artist out of Seattle, in a fairly classic M.C. role, who’s having huge success without the participation of any label, and using his soapbox to talk about some important issues. His story seems like a rare case of unequivocal pop-cultural good news, so how did so many people decide that Macklemore is history’s greatest monster?
• Yes, that is a Chicago L train you can hear in the background now and then. D’oh.
• The Heist has had a total of six singles.
• good kid, m.A.A.d city has had a total of four singles.
• Here’s where I heard that thing Macklemore said about race and the Grammys.
• I must have been thinking about Eric Clapton’s collaboration with Buddy Guy and Junior Wells.
63 episodes available. A new episode about every 37 days .