Manage episode 256897794 series 2390732
Dorie Clark is a consultant and keynote speaker, and the author of the books Entrepreneurial You, Reinventing You, and Stand Out, which was named the #1 Leadership Book of 2015 by Inc. magazine. A former presidential campaign spokeswoman, Dorie has been described by the New York Times as an “expert at self-reinvention and helping others make changes in their lives.”
Dorie consults and speaks for a diverse range of clients, and teaches executive education. A former award-winning journalist, she directed the environmental documentary film, The Work of 1000, and was a producer for a multiple-Grammy-winning jazz album.
To read any of 500 free articles Dorie has written for publications such as Forbes, the Harvard Business Review, and Entrepreneur, visit https://dorieclark.com.
And if you’d like to build the career you want, you can download the free 88 question Entrepreneurial You self-assessment at https://dorieclark.com/entrepreneur.
In this episode Dorie and I discuss:
- What Dorie learned from being laid off from her first newspaper job
- Why a diversity of skills is crucial in the modern job market
- What holds people back from diversifying themselves (and what you can do about it)
- How being a freelance journalist helped Dorie prepare for the entrepreneurial life
- Why learning how to run a business didn’t actually help Dorie launch her first business
- The very first step all entrepreneurs must take
- The “optimize for interesting” philosophy that Dorie lives by
- The personal and professional failures Dorie values most
I’ve been ecstatic about the early reviews. The book was named a “must read” by Susan Cain (NYT Bestselling Author of Quiet), “endlessly fascinating” by Daniel Pink (NYT Bestselling Author of Drive and A Whole New Mind), and “bursting with practical insights” by Adam Grant (NYT Bestselling Author of Originals). The book was also selected by Adam Grant as his # 1 pick among his top 20 books of 2020.
If you pre-order the book, you’ll get digital access to the book to read on your favorite device within seven days of your pre-order. That means you can start reading it months before the book is released to the public.
You’ll also get pre-order bonuses worth at least 10 times the cost of the book. You can check out the bonuses at rocketsciencebook.com.