Manage episode 226127076 series 2390732
Jennifer Dulski is the head of Facebook Groups, a product used by more than 1 billion people. She has more than fifteen years of experience at successful startups and big-brand Internet companies, including as a business unit leader at Yahoo! and as CEO of The Dealmap, which was acquired by Google in 2011, making Jennifer the first woman to sell a company to Google. Prior to Facebook, Jennifer spent 4 years as president & COO of Change.org, a social impact company that empowers people globally to start and win campaigns for change.
Jennifer’s first book, Purposeful, about how each of us can be movement starters, is a Wall Street Journal Bestseller. You can join the Facebook group for Purposeful at this link to connect with others interested in starting or supporting movements.
In the interview, Jennifer and I discuss:
- How Jennifer dealt with the uncertainty and fear of failure involved with leaving her leadership position at Yahoo! and joining a startup as CEO
- How the startup failed three times, but she refused to go home
- Why she uses a strategy called “icked-tickda” to be less scared of big or unknown things
- Why she deliberately places her in situations that make her nervous or uncomfortable
- How she destigmatized failure at Change.org through a Festival of Failure
- Why sharing your vulnerability is crucial to becoming a movement starter
- How she uses a trick from the movie Rocky to get back on her feet after losing a round or two.
Get your FREE copy of my e-book. Text OZAN to 345345 or navigate to weeklycontrarian.com to download a free copy of my e-book, The Contrarian Handbook: 8 Principles for Innovating Your Thinking. Along with your free e-book, you’ll get the Weekly Contrarian — a newsletter that challenges conventional wisdom and changes the way we look at the world (plus access to exclusive content for subscribers only).
Don’t want to miss future episodes? Be sure to subscribe to the podcast and leave a review on iTunes or Google Play.
As always, thanks for listening.
47 episodes available. A new episode about every 11 days averaging 35 mins duration .