Manage episode 233841610 series 1391044
Glen and Jason Newcomer are the sixth-generation owners and operators of Newcomer Farms. Having been established during the time of the Civil War, Newcomer Farms is one of the oldest farms in America. Glen has extensive experience in farm management, agronomy support, and agricultural risk management. Jason returned to the farm after college to help the family operate and innovate the farm to match current trends.
Glen and Jason join me to share what it’s like to manage a farm that’s survived many troubling times. They discuss the difference between how the farm was managed decades ago and how it is managed today. Jason explains the reason why he returned to farming and Glen describes some of the tasks Jason helped relieve him from. They also share how they select their board of advisors and their perspective on farm operations.
“We always have to find ways to become more efficient and more profitable.” - Glen Newcomer
This Week on The Future of Agriculture Podcast:
- Glen and Jason Newcomer's agricultural background and the history of their farm.
- Why Jason is passionate about managing their farm.
- The difference between how they operated generations ago and today.
- Why they believe they're in a pinched economy right now.
- The issues they encountered in the '80s versus the issues today.
- Why Jason returned to farm operations.
- Their approach to succession of their farm operations.
- The new tools they utilize in their day-to-day farm operations.
- Expectations from the newer generation of farmers.
Connect with Glen and Jason Newcomer:
This episode is sponsored by: Granular - Manage Your Farm with Confidence
Granular is an agriculture software company dedicated to building stronger, more profitable farms. Since 2014, Granular has become a leader in developing web and mobile apps grounded in advanced data science technology to help farmers make data-driven, real-time business and agriculture decisions with greater confidence.
To learn more about how Granular’s digital solutions can help you better manage your farm, visit Granular.ag.
We Are a Part of a Bigger Family!
Share the Ag-Love!
Thanks for joining us on the Future of Agriculture Podcast – your spot for valuable information, content, and interviews with industry leaders throughout the agricultural space! If you enjoyed this week’s episode, please subscribe on iTunes and leave your honest feedback. Don’t forget to share it with your friends on your favorite social media spots!
Learn more about AgGrad by visiting:
652 episodes available. A new episode about every day averaging 45 mins duration .