Manage episode 231818710 series 1705836
On today's episode of the fat m.e.l.t.ing radio podcast, Joe interviews Licensed Massage Therapist, Certified Functional Strength Coach, Certified Strength & Conditioning Specialist. Kevin and Joe discuss how to become more preventive against injury instead of being reactive, the importance of really good basics, root cause of neck issues & Plantar fasciitis, how to stay fit as you travel and much more!
- Rather than place band aids on stuff, audit whats going on and ask “why?”
- Think preventive NOT reactive
- The quality of exercise determines the outcome
- Neck issues are often result of us living in an extension based world
o Made worse by stress and respiration issues (vertical breathing patterns).
o Reset respiration problems by checking in throughout the day to see where breathing is coming from and focus on using nose not mouth.
o Think “360 degree” breathing or “everywhere breath” around your low belly, sides and low back.
- Shin splints/ Plantarfasciitis are often caused by overuse injuries (50% load, 50% muscles) and poor mileage management.
o People often make the mistake of “running to get fit” when it should be “getting fit to run.”
- Training shoe spectrum:
o First and foremost ask –“how do you feel” in the shoes?
o Practice home foot care; roll bottom of your feet, wiggle your toes, make an arch and work on ankle mobility.
- Travel Fitness & Nutrition: Find things you can do when you’re traveling.
o “You can’t make perfection out of an imperfect schedule.”
o Focus on keeping a healthy routine, even as small or different as it might have to be.
o Think 1 x 365%
o Its not about the one off, its about the cumulative result.
o Identify healthy snacks you love and bring them with you.
375 episodes available. A new episode about every 5 days averaging 54 mins duration .