Manage episode 195104986 series 1440260
In this episode, Jay Rosen and myself take a look at some of the top compliance stories over the past week. Jonathan Marks joins us to discuss his new Board and Fraud blog.
- More fallout from the Keppel Offshore FCPA enforcement action. See articles by Dick Cassin in the FCPA Blog on the in-house lawyer who pled guilty and the systemic nature of the corruption.
- Rick Messick considers risk assessments in the Global Anti-Corruption Blog.
- Well know anti-fraud specialist Jonathan Marks starts a new blog Board and Fraud, focusing on corporate governance and fraud issues. He begins by telling auditors to be skeptical. Check it out here.
- Is the purpose of corporate enforcement deterrence or punishment? Mihailis E. Diamantis considers this question with a preview of his upcoming article “Clockwork Corporations: A Character Theory of Corporate Punishment”. The preview is posting in NYU’s Crime and Enforcement blog.
- Former Och Ziff hedge fund executive, Michael Cohn indicted for fraud in Africa investment scheme. See article in Bloomberg.
- A banker From Turkey Convicted in plot to evade Iran sanctions. See article by Benjamin Weiser and Carlotta Gall in the New York Times. See DOJ Press Release.
- Petrobras Settles U.S. Securities Suit Based on Corruption-Related Allegations for $2.95 Billion. Kevin LaCroix reports from the D&O Diary. Henry Cutter reports from the WSJ Risk and Compliance Journal.
- Join Tom’s monthly podcast series on One Month to a More Effective Compliance Program. In January, I bring together the entire year of compliance program best practices with 31 days to a more effective compliance program. It is available on the FCPA Compliance Report, iTunes, Libsyn, YouTube and JDSupra.
- Tom announces his next Compliance Master Class, sponsored by Marcum LLC. It will be held on February 11 & 12 at Marcum’s offices in Miami, FL. More information or a copy of the agenda, or to register, will be available on my website, FCPA Compliance Report or at Marcum LLP.
481 episodes available. A new episode about every 20 hours averaging 19 mins duration .