Manage episode 227319160 series 1185635
Do you ever wonder about the underlying factors that contribute to your promoting someone? Or what leads you to trust another colleague more than another? While there are various answers to these questions, it is no surprise that our preconceived beliefs and notions that have been deeply ingrained in us inevitably influence how we see others and our circumstances.
On this episode, I dive into the five different unconscious biases that people, including myself, commonly commit. I humbly share how I showed unconscious bias in the past as an example of how we have these biases no matter how hard we train to stay away from them. I also explain the significance of seeing these biases so we can bring them to light and determine how we can change them for the betterment of ourselves as well as our company culture.
“There are two types of people in the world - those who walk around with unconscious biases and those who lie about them.” - Eleanor Beaton
Today on the Fierce Feminine Leadership Podcast:
- What unconscious bias is and how it impacts how we perceive others and make decisions
- A distressing story of how unconscious bias persists even if you decide to stand guard against it
- No one is immune to unconscious bias
- Why I’m shining a light on my own unconscious bias
- The best you can do when you encounter unconscious bias
- Four more gaffes that many women have made in their career
- How prone you are to the “Tall and Attractive Bias”
- Explaining the “Affinity Bias” and practical examples of our inclination to affinities
- The “Conformity Bias” that most parents warn their children about
- Shedding light on the “New Mothers Can’t Focus Bias”
- The challenge to do better and create a real sense of diversity
Fierce Leadership Quotes:
- “Our unconscious biases have a major impact on our ability to receive information and make sound decisions.” - Eleanor Beaton
- “When it comes to unconscious bias, no one - and I repeat - NO ONE is immune.” - Eleanor Beaton
- “The best we can do when we encounter bias is to recognize it and shine a light on it in a way that allows the perpetrator of unconscious bias to maintain his or her dignity.” - Eleanor Beaton
- XX Factor: 5 common unconscious bias faux-pas Article by Atlantic Business Magazine
Join the Exclusive Incubator Program!
Are you ready to build, leverage, and scale your business to the next level? Ready to maximize your leadership skills and grow your business to 7-figures and beyond? Join our Incubator Program - the 12-month high-octane program that blends leadership strategy, accountability, and business building support to help you propel your business to the next level and increase your earning power. Head over to EleanorBeaton.com to learn more about The Incubator Program and submit your application today!
Love the show? Let us know!
Are you a fan of the Fierce Feminine Leadership Podcast? If the tips and interviews we share in each episode have helped you gain the confidence and inspiration to become a better, more powerful leader, head on over to iTunes, subscribe to the show and leave your honest review to let us know! Each month, one lucky podcast reviewer will be selected to receive a free coaching session with me – Eleanor Beaton!
What are you waiting for? Head on over to iTunes, subscribe and leave a review to enter your name into this month’s drawing!
And, if you really want to ramp up your fierceness…
Reach out to us for a free 30-minute Bold Women in Business Makeover Session with me or one of the fabulous coaches on my team!
Explore your path and discover how you can be the fiercest lady-boss possible. Visit EleanorBeaton.com/discover.
320 episodes available. A new episode about every 3 days averaging 17 mins duration .