Manage episode 229729680 series 1104315
The guys want to let everyone know up front that they will be recording a special frozen food themed episode next week with the sponsorship of the American Frozen Food Institute. The audio recording of the show will appear in the regular podcast feed, but if you want to listen and watch in real time you can register on the AFFI website at the link below.
The regular show opens with a discussion about Ben's upcoming relay race across the state of South Carolina, and the reason for the early-morning reporting of the podcast. From Palmetto relays to palmetto bugs, the show dips quickly into food safety, Ben's favorite thermometer, and how smells can make both of your hosts feel queasy. There's a brief musical interlude while Ben goes to look after his dog, and after he returns he shares his adventures with a chainsaw. The food safety starts in earnest with a remembrance of Pete Snyder, and then Don talks about pesticide food safety. Then brings things back to microbial food safety by talking about a recent botulism outbreak in New York City. From there the guys transition to listener feedback where they talk about blanching versus cooking, how the FDA model food code and the food code Annex are developed. The next bit of listener feedback the guys revisit microbiological safety of citrus rind, as well as the effect of ethanol on microorganisms. There's a brief technical digression into pushing and pumping things off of stacks before a return to food safety. The guys talk a little bit about gluten-free flour, and its microbiological risks and how they might be controlled before wrapping up quickly to mention a novel technique for not spitting on your birthday cake.
- Food Safety Talk Explores the Food Safety Zone - American Frozen Food Institute
- Palmetto Relays
- Roach vs. Palmetto Bug: What's the Difference?
- Ben's favorite, the Comark PDT300 Waterproof Pocket Thermometer, Digital, -58 to 300 F
- Jeopardy Theme - YouTube
- Tree Cutting Fails And Idiots With Chainsaws 2 - YouTube
- O. Pete Snyder, food safety rock star | barfblog
- Dave Brubeck - Wikipedia
- EWG releases 2019 'Dirty Dozen,' 'Clean 15' lists | Packer
- Notes from the Field: Botulism Outbreak Associated with Home-Canned Peas — New York City, 2018 | MMWR
- ComBase Corn on the Cob receipe
- Thermal Inactivation of Listeria monocytogenes and Salmonella during Water and Steam Blanching of Vegetables
- FDA Food Code
- Conference for Food Protection
- Food Code > Summary of Changes In the FDA Food Code 2017
- Menu - Uncle Julio's
- Stack (abstract data type) - Wikipedia
- Dinex DXIDPH2E1200 12.25" Enclosed Heated Plate Dispenser w/ 50 Plate Or 36 Bowl Capacity
- Food Safety Talk 177: Toilet as a Research Device — Food Safety Talk
- What is Gluten Free Flour? - Baking Bites
- How is gluten extracted from flour? | Gluten Free Bakery Co
- Mitt Romney's bizarre technique for blowing out birthday candles
147 episodes available. A new episode about every 12 days averaging 104 mins duration .