230: Startup Legends Talk Hiring, Branding, and Core Values, With Oli Gardner of Unbounce and Ryan Deiss of DigitalMarketer
Manage episode 223626313 series 62727
Most of Foundr’s podcast episodes are one-on-one chats, usually focusing on a particular foundr or their business. This time around, we were fortunate enough to sit down, in person, with two startup icons, and explore some of the most important facets of running a business.
Oli Gardner and Ryan Deiss are both digital marketing pioneers who have grown their online businesses to millions in revenue. Gardner, the instructor of our Landing Page Formula course, co-founded landing page builder Unbounce in 2009. Deiss, a serial entrepreneur, founded DigitalMarketer in 2011.
Not surprisingly, this turned out to be a fascinating conversation, in which Gardner and Deiss share both similar and differing opinions on everything from branding to hiring.
For example, both founders insist that creating core values is an important business practice that will inform your branding and your decisions. “I have had more businesses come close to failure because of too much opportunity,” says Deiss, who adds that having a mission makes it easier to know when to say no.
In addition, as both Unbounce and DigitalMarketer grow, Gardner and Deiss have each honed their strategies for hiring top talent. The details might surprise you, as one of the two companies doesn’t even allow candidates to submit a resume (it’ll get thrown out).
Listen in as Gardner and Deiss join Foundr for this lively chat in Barcelona, where they share their hard-learned lessons from growing online businesses and the sacrifices they’ve made along the way.Key Takeaways
- How to build a great brand
- The one thing that keeps your customers coming back again and again
- Why creating core values for your company isn’t just a nice thing to do, but a necessity
- The latest interaction and design trends—and which ones you should steer clear of
- Why community is the new brand and how to build a community that boosts your business
- The biggest opportunity in ecommerce right now
- How to stay relevant in a changing content marketing landscape
- Sure-fire tactics for hiring and vetting top talent
- The big sacrifices they’ve had to make as founders
251 episodes available. A new episode about every 7 days averaging 45 mins duration .