Manage episode 241047838 series 2281334
ANNOUCEMENT: Frugal Friends Meet Up in Washington DC, Sept 7 @ 5:30 at Kalorama Park
Rakuten: We love and use Rakuten all the time so we wanted to give them a shout out. If you’ve never used it, Rakuten is a shopping portal where you can get cash-back on purchases from your favorite stores. We use it for Groupon, Amazon, Walmart, travel sites and more. And, if you haven’t tried Rakuten yet we’ve got a $10 welcome bonus for you on your first purchase of $25 or more when you sign up through frugalfriendspodcast.com/rakuten
Vacation: All I ever wanted. When you have to get away a vacation is what you want. Some people prefer spending it alone, others with family and friends. Whether it’s a week away to forget someone or two weeks, which will still probably not be long enough to get over someone, try a vacation. Vacation, all anyone ever wants.
When people think of travel hacking often they think lots of cards to keep track of for a long time to get 1-2% back, but it’s not so. We jump into the conversation asking Lee all of the questions about travel hacking and how even amateurs can 'get there' frugally!
- What is travel hacking and why did you get started?
- What’s your strategy for beginner travel hackers?
- Determine where you want to go (who flies there, who provides lodging)
- Utilize shopping portals - cashbackmonitor.com tells you where to earn most cash back
- What are some commonly overlooked things people should consider?
- Consider automatic minimum payment to keep good credit score
- Join mailing lists for hotels you want - you'll be the first to find out promos
- Stack benefits (Dosh - dining cash back, Uber local credits, Hilton dining rewards)
- Learn more on travel blogs (Boarding Area, Points Guy, Frequent Traveler University)
- What are some tricks to get the minimum spend?
- Chase sapphire reserve
- Chase Inc business preferred
- Capital 1 saver (4% cash back)
- Southwest CC - companion pass! - apply in late December (hit min spend in Jan.)
BILL OF THE WEEK - Thank you Lee for sharing your bill about your credit card statement where you learned you got a free night at Hilton anywhere in the world!
- If you want to submit your bill of the week visit frugalfriendspodcast.com/bill to leave us a bill
Our favorite trips using travel rewards
- Lee: Traveled from Chicago to Belgium in business class through Marriot's 'nights&flights'
- Jen: Babymoon to Beaver Creek, CO and got 3 nights at the park Hyatt on points!
- Jill: Flights to Vegas and return flights from San Diego on Southwest points, AND rental car and hotels on Chase sapphire reserve points!
Frugal Friends Book Club:
It’s August and we’re reading The Simple Path to Wealth by J.L. Collins for book club!
- If you want a free copy, leave us a review on iTunes or Stitcher, screenshot the review and send it to email@example.com. We’ll select the winners at the end of the month.
See ya next week!