FOA 167: Farming in Space with Dr Ray Wheeler of NASA
Manage episode 240219732 series 2394879
Dr. Ray Wheeler is NASA’s Plant Physiologist and the lead for Advanced Life Support Research activities in the Exploration Research and Technology Program at Kennedy Space Center. He began his career at NASA in 1988 and the bulk of his research revolved around the use of hydroponic techniques for space farming experiments. One of Ray’s goals is to allow humanity to grow safe and nutritious crops off the Earth.
Ray joins me today to discuss some of NASA’s recent developments regarding planting crops in space. He shares some of the systems and tech that have been made commercial in the ag industry and explains why it’s difficult to experiment with plants in space. Ray also describes some of the benefits of being able to grow plants on other planets.
“We've been trying to manipulate the environment to accommodate plants. Now we have the tools to manipulate plants to fit into the environment.” - Dr. Ray Wheeler
This Week on The Future of Agriculture Podcast:
- The research he's conducted that has made it in today's agriculture industry.
- How NASA helped in terrestrial applications of space farming.
- His recent projects that could be applied commercially in the future.
- Solving the ever-increasing CO2 emissions with space farming tech.
- Recent progress on the experimental planting chambers in space.
- Deciding which crops show promise for space production.
- The water content of Mars and the prospect of someday growing food there.
- The critical benefits of being able to grow plants in space.
- Recovering as much water as possible in space.
- The effects of low gravity environments on plant growth.
- His advice for people interested in space farming technology.
Connect with Dr. Ray Wheeler:
We Are a Part of a Bigger Family!
The Future of Agriculture Podcast is now part of the Farm and Rural Ag Network. Listen to more ag-related podcasts by subscribing on iTunes or on the Farm and Rural Ag Network Website today.
Join the Conversation!
To get your most pressing ag questions answered and share your perspective on various topics we’ve discussed on the Future of Agriculture podcast, head over to SpeakPipe.com/FutureofAg and leave a recorded message!
Share the Ag-Love!
Thanks for joining us on the Future of Agriculture Podcast – your spot for valuable information, content, and interviews with industry leaders throughout the agricultural space! If you enjoyed this week’s episode, please subscribe on iTunes and leave your honest feedback. Don’t forget to share it with your friends on your favorite social media spots!
Learn more about AgGrad by visiting:
AgGrad on Twitter AgGrad on Facebook AgGrad on LinkedIn AgGrad on Instagram