Future of Agriculture 137: Managing a Multi-Generational Farm Business with Jeff and Garrett Sims of Sims Farms
Manage episode 225765651 series 2394879
Jeff and Garrett Sims are the owners of Sims Farms, a family-owned and operated ag business in the Centralia, Missouri area. The farm was established in 1967, and they’re the 5th generation of farmers who manage and oversee its day-to-day operations. Some of the services they offer include stewardship, soybeans production, and commercial corn production.
Jeff and Garrett join me today to describe how Granular has enabled them to manage their business at a more efficient rate. They share how they run the farm, the people they employ, and the crops they grow. They discuss how they adapted to new technologies and how Granular has served as one of their best investments. They also explain the importance of knowing which “shiny object” to focus on and how to tell if a new tool is worth your time.
“It's great to sell a product, but you have to have people and systems in place to make it work.” - Jeff Sims
This Week on The Future of Agriculture Podcast:
- Jeff and Garrett Sims' farming operations and how they manage their farm.
- Their transition from traditional to automated farm management.
- How Granular helped them establish an efficient farm system.
- Sorting through the many new tools and technologies available to them.
- What matters most when considering using new technology.
- The number of people they employ and their responsibilities around the farm.
- Tasks they spend more time on now than they did when they were starting out.
- What they need to put more emphasis on to continue growing.
- What they're excited about in the future of agriculture.
- Some of the technologies out there today give us a good indication of what's coming.
- All technologies need to be looked at and applied to your business in some way or form.
- Adapting to new technology isn't as expensive as it was decades ago.
- As farms become bigger and more complex, you need to hire outside help.
Connect with Jeff and Garrett Sims:
- SIMS Farms
- Email: email@example.com
This episode is sponsored by: Granular - Manage Your Farm with Confidence
Granular is an agriculture software company dedicated to building stronger, more profitable farms. Since 2014, Granular has become a leader in developing web and mobile apps grounded in advanced data science technology to help farmers make data-driven, real-time business and agriculture decisions with greater confidence.
To learn more about how Granular’s digital solutions can help you better manage your farm, visit Granular.ag.
2019 AgGrad 30 Under 30
Help us celebrate the top 30 future leaders of agriculture! Nominate your favorite up-and-coming, future executives, innovators, and influencers in the following agriculture categories:
- Production Agriculture
- Research & Technology
- Education & Advocacy
Nominations for the 2019 AgGrad 30 Under 30 list are now open and are scheduled to close Thursday, January 31, 2019, at 11:59 PM. Self-nominations are accepted.
Winners will be announced March 2019.
To learn more about the eligibility requirements, announcement date and location, and to nominate for the 2019 AgGrad 30 Under 30 list, visit: 30Under30.ag
We Are a Part of a Bigger Family!
Share the Ag-Love!
Thanks for joining us on the Future of Agriculture Podcast – your spot for valuable information, content, and interviews with industry leaders throughout the agricultural space! If you enjoyed this week’s episode, please subscribe on iTunes and leave your honest feedback. Don’t forget to share it with your friends on your favorite social media spots!
Learn more about AgGrad by visiting:
156 episodes available. A new episode about every 6 days averaging 32 mins duration .