Manage episode 212962687 series 1114634
Aldyen Donnelly is the Director of Carbon Economic at Nori, a startup company dedicated to creating trust and transparency while lowering transaction costs throughout the carbon trading industry. Her mission is to reward carbon sequestering farmers with blockchain-backed carbon credit certificates. Nori is a blockchain-enabled platform allowing users to trace where carbon dioxide is sequestered and is currently the world’s only carbon dioxide sequestration marketplace.
Aldyen joins me to share the mission behind Nori and how it can help both the environment and farmers. She shares how she became inspired to help the world reduce its carbon emissions, where carbon emissions are primarily derived, and the company’s business strategy to help reverse this problem. She also explains the role of blockchain with regards to transparency in their platform and how farmers can benefit from regenerative and carbon sequestering practices.
“When we create a market that is transparent, a whole bunch of ideas about how to do this will come up that have never entered our mind yet.” - Aldyen Donnelly
This Week on The Future of Agriculture Podcast:
- Where greenhouse gases are primarily stored.
- How soon can we reduce the greenhouse gases to 350 ppm?
- The theory behind Cap and Trade and why it’s not an optimal strategy to address the greenhouse gas emission issues.
- The true value of one carbon certificate.
- Why California is a special case when it comes to emissions certificates.
- How Nori works and how it utilizes blockchain.
- Who are the buyers of the carbon certificates?
- How regenerative practices allows farmers to generate marketable carbon credits, even during natural disasters.
- Causes of the downward pressure on the price of carbon certificates.
- How funding U.S. farmers to sequester carbon can offset transport and gas plant emissions.
Aldyen Donnelly’s Key Takeaways:
- When most people are buying a certificate in the state of California market for $15, they think it’s costing $15 to reduce one ton of CO2, but if a certificate is really only worth 25% of a ton, they’re actually paying $60 a ton.
- Every cap and trade pollution market has crashed and burned within seven years.
- If we fund U.S. farmers to sequester carbon at top price, they can offset all of the U.S. transportation emissions and all of the gas plant emissions.
Connect with Aldyen Donnelly:
Check Out Our Sponsor for the “Sustainability at Scale” Series
Have you ever heard of Marrone’s BIO WITH BITE? Marrone Bio Innovation offers crop pest protection for the modern organic and conventional production systems. To make sure every grower using their products realize the best possible return on investment, Marrone invests time and resources to thoroughly test and demonstrate the efficacy of those new state of the art products. With serious trial data to back it up! You can see more and connect directly with Marrone by visiting them at www.marronebio.com
Marrone is very proud to support The Future Of Agriculture blog series on sustainability in agriculture with Tim Hammerich.
We Are a Part of a Bigger Family!
Share the Ag-Love!
Thanks for joining us on the Future of Agriculture Podcast – your spot for valuable information, content, and interviews with industry leaders throughout the agricultural space! If you enjoyed this week’s episode, please subscribe on iTunes and leave your honest feedback. Don’t forget to share it with your friends on your favorite social media spots!
Learn more about AgGrad by visiting:
164 episodes available. A new episode about every 6 days averaging 30 mins duration .