Future of Agriculture 139: Building a Family Dairy Business Through a Commitment to Sustainability and Rural Communities with Ken McCarty of McCarty Family Farms
Hmmm there seems to be a problem fetching this series right now. Last successful fetch was on July 15, 2019 14:18 ()
What now? This series will be checked again in the next hour. If you believe it should be working, please verify the publisher's feed link below is valid and includes actual episode links. You can contact support to request the feed be immediately fetched.
Manage episode 226777042 series 1114634
Ken McCarty manages McCarty Family Farms, a dairy farm that has been in operation since 1914, making it more than a hundred years old. On top of using state-of-the-art equipment, their farm is also Non-GMO Project Verified. Ken is part of the fourth generation of owners and makes sure their daily operations puts emphasis on environmental sustainability and animal welfare among other concerns.
Ken joins me today to describe how he and his family run and manages their farm. He shares some of its rich history, its humble beginnings, and why they decided to focus on dairy products. He explains why they went after a Non-GMO certification and how it has improved the quality of their operations. He also discusses how using data instead of instinct is the right way to manage a farm.
“Growth, to us, isn't milking more cows and getting bigger. Growth is getting better every day.” - Ken McCarty
This Week on The Future of Agriculture Podcast:
- Why you should operate in multiple, small locations instead of expanding from one big hub.
- What his life was like before they decided to move to Kansas.
- Focusing on exploring milk marketing opportunities and dairy farming.
- The reason why they are Non-GMO Project verified.
- The values and principles they want to instill in their company.
- What's in store for McCarty Family Farms?
- Dairy from an economic development point of view is attractive to rural-American eco-devo groups.
- Manage by the data. Let data drive your decisions.
- Being biased will never let you manage your farms efficiently.
Connect with Ken McCarty:
We Are a Part of a Bigger Family!
Share the Ag-Love!
Thanks for joining us on the Future of Agriculture Podcast – your spot for valuable information, content, and interviews with industry leaders throughout the agricultural space! If you enjoyed this week’s episode, please subscribe on iTunes and leave your honest feedback. Don’t forget to share it with your friends on your favorite social media spots!
Learn more about AgGrad by visiting:
172 episodes available. A new episode about every 6 days averaging 34 mins duration .