Manage episode 230126264 series 1114634
Henry Gordon-Smith is considered one of the leading experts in urban agriculture. He is the Founder and Managing Director of Agritecture, a global urban agriculture consultation company that seeks to spread and promote the idea of urban and vertical farming. Part of Henry’s duties as Managing Director include overseeing projects, planning events and conferences, and networking with like-minded businesses. He has a BA in Political Science from the University of British Columbia and an MSc in Sustainability Management from Columbia University.
Henry joins me today to share his passion for urban farming and discuss some of its more fascinating details. He explains what urban farming is, what makes it different from local farming, and how it can improve a city’s economic growth as well as its sustainability efforts. He shares research data on urban agriculture, how someone can be eligible to have an urban farm, and the potential profitability. Henry also describes what we can expect from their AgLanta conference in April 2019.
“If a certain population in the city know how to grow food, and there are policies to support it, the city will be able to impact its own food security and be more independent.” - Henry Gordon-Smith
This Week on The Future of Agriculture Podcast:
- How Henry became interested in working in agriculture.
- Why he chose blogging as a means to spread stories on Agritecture.
- Why we should be looking into urban farming and how it helps sustainability efforts.
- Where the most opportunities lie in sustainable urban farming.
- Emerging green technologies that embody the food, water, and energy systems.
- The difference between urban and local agriculture.
- Urban agriculture profitability and investments.
- The idea of replacing the sun using new technology.
- The types of plants that can thrive in an urban setting.
- Minimum requirements for someone to start urban farming.
- Some of the reasons urban farming fails and how to make it succeed.
- What to expect at the AgLanta conference.
Connect with Henry Gordon-Smith
We Are a Part of a Bigger Family!
Share the Ag-Love!
Thanks for joining us on the Future of Agriculture Podcast – your spot for valuable information, content, and interviews with industry leaders throughout the agricultural space! If you enjoyed this week’s episode, please subscribe on iTunes and leave your honest feedback. Don’t forget to share it with your friends on your favorite social media spots!
Learn more about AgGrad by visiting:
168 episodes available. A new episode about every 6 days averaging 32 mins duration .