Gemba Academy Podcast: Lean Manufacturing | Lean Office | Six Sigma | Toyota Kata | Productivity | Leadership
GA 261 | Building the Habit of Excellence with James Clear
Manage episode 230659139 series 2460675
This week’s guest is James Clear. Author of the bestseller Atomic Habits, James shared a wealth of knowledge with us regarding the different kinds of habits, how they form, and how we can successfully change our behavior. A written transcript of this episode is available for download here. An MP3 audio version of this episode is available for download here.
In this episode you’ll learn:
- A quote about the importance of habits (3:43)
- James’ background in athletics, science, business, and psychology (4:45)
- Why James is passionate about identity-based habits (8:02)
- How sports teaches excellence (15:55)
- An exercise he does (18:03)
- The four stages of habit formation (18:52)
- An example (21:58)
- Why he added the “Craving” stage (23:37)
- The first law of behavior change, “Making It Obvious” (27:34)
- About habit stacking (30:11)
- The second law of behavior change, “Making It Attractive” (32:52)
- The true power of dopamine (35:40)
- Breaking a bad habit (39:59)
- The third law of behavior change, “Making It Easy” (44:44)
- Using the reverse for breaking bad habits (47:01)
- The fourth law of behavior change, “Making It Satisfying” (49:12)
- The social reinforcement of habits (54:36)
- The downside of creating good habits (56:25)
- Click Here to Download the EBook Version of the Interview
- Right Click to Download this Podcast as an MP3
- Download a Free Audio Book at Audible.com
- Atomic Habits
- James’ Website
Subscribe & Never Miss New Episodes!
If you enjoyed this podcast please be sure to subscribe on iTunes. Once you’re a subscriber all new episodes will be downloaded to your iTunes account and smartphone.
The easiest way for iPhone users to listen to the show is via the free, and incredible, Podcast app.
You can also subscribe via Stitcher which is definitely Android friendly.
What Do You Think?
How do you go about developing good habits or breaking bad ones?
177 episodes available. A new episode about every 7 days averaging 37 mins duration .