Manage episode 308218562 series 2391654
Tuck speaks with game designer and cultural consultant Yeonsoo Julian Kim (they/she). Topics include:
- Creating games where every playable character is nonbinary (or, in other cases, Korean)
- The joys of BDSM tea party games and horror erotic fiction
- Why “romanticizing colonialism” is a surprisingly common game plot
- Playing to win vs. playing to process your feelings and maybe have a nice cry
- Plus: divorcing fear from gender; and the DnD to HRT pipeline
This Week in Gender: Iowa Medicaid must start covering trans surgeries; R*wling once again claims to be victimized by trans people; Stu Rasmussen was the country’s first openly trans mayor; Trans Day of Remembrance happened; Amy Schneider is crushing it on Jeopardy.
Find Yeonsoo @yjuliankim and at yeonsoojuliankim.com. (Want more? Their interactive novel The Fog Knows Your Name is available here, and the Strange Lusts/Strange Loves anthology is being released in installments here [NSFW].)
Join our Patreon (patreon.com/gender) to receive our weekly newsletter, plus stickers and other rewards.