Archived series ("Inactive feed" status)
When? This feed was archived on February 02, 2021 01:27 (). Last successful fetch was on May 22, 2020 03:24 ()
Why? Inactive feed status. Our servers were unable to retrieve a valid podcast feed for a sustained period.
What now? You might be able to find a more up-to-date version using the search function. This series will no longer be checked for updates. If you believe this to be in error, please check if the publisher's feed link below is valid and contact support to request the feed be restored or if you have any other concerns about this.
Manage episode 182860682 series 1407254
Get lost in the endurance sport of No-Snow Biathlon by explaining how it works, what gear you need, and where you can go to get lost racing it.What the heck is No-Snow Biathlon?
To understand No Snow Biathlon, you need to first know what a biathlon is. The biathlon is a winter sport that combines cross-country skiing and precision rifle shooting.
Competitors race for miles around a trail system whose total distance is divided into either two or four shooting rounds. Shooting round is divided into one-half standing and one-half in the prone position.
For each shooting round, the biathlete must hit five targets and receives a penalty for each missed target. If you miss any of the targets, extra distance or time is added to your total running distance/time in the form of mini penalty laps.
The contestant with the shortest total time wins. Recreationalists, endurance racers, off-road enthusiasts, and even potential biathletes now have more options than ever before to enter the world of biathlon without snow.
Newcomers to trail running or even roller skiing can also find the no-snow biathlon experience to be a welcome distraction. For those interested in taking the no-snow principles into the alpine, any endurance conditioning that creates a strong physical base can benefit anyone looking to build an off-season, cross-country skiing physique.
With only a little bit of creativity, potential athletes in snowless regions can develop their own opportunities for simulating the near-real world conditions you will find in a biathlon event.Episode Highlights:
- What is the biathlon?
- What is the no-snow biathlon?
- What gear do I need to start in biathlon?
- What makes the no-snow biathlon different from biathlon?
- What skills do I need to be competitive?
- Where do you a race in a no-snow biathlon?
No-Snow Biathlon Gear Links
- Jenex Roller Skis
- Wood Roller Skis
- Men’s Trail Running Shoes
- Women’s Trail Running Shoes
- Where to Shoot in Virginia
- NRA Range Services
- Nordic Marksman, Inc.
- Gun Broker (Biathlon)
No-Snow Biathlon Race Links
- U.S. Biathlon Team USA – Event
- Run and Gun / Gears and Guns Biathlon Weekend, Flat Rock Ranch, Comfort, TX
- Friends of Oil Creek State Park – Summer Biathlon, Rouseville, PA
- Pennsylvania Biathlon – Gravel Biathlon, Altoona, PA
- Whistler Biathlon Society – Summer Biathlon Series, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Until then, I hope you Get Lost Racing!Outdoor Reckoneering Links
I want to know what you think about my podcast! Please leave me feedback by doing the following:
- Go to the Merchants of Dirt Podcast iTunes page.
- Click View in iTunes under the show artwork.
- Submit a review and give it a 5-star rating!
If you're thinking about creating a race for this discipline, please join my Facebook group: Race Promoters' Hangout.